Epilogue: Part III

I watched as they tried to revive Katy, a sea of nurses and doctors doing everything they could do to save her life.

I watched them attempt a second time; before my body gave way, and my body slid itself down the side of the wall, almost choking on the tears, unable to breathe as I found myself in hysterics in the floor of the hospital corridor.

I straightened myself up, after sitting on the floor, my head buried in my hands after being in hysterics for the past four minutes. You're supposed to be the strong one. Strong for Katy, your family, her family... Your daughter.

I exhaled a deep breath as I forced myself up and away from outside Katy's suite, walking down the corridor in efforts to distract my mind. She's going to be okay. She's going to be okay. Stay strong for us Katy.

I felt myself becoming flustered again the more I thought about it, now looking down at my feet as I paced the corridor back and forth. Everyone had gone to the waiting room - all except Angela, who was watching me as she leaned against the pale white walls of the corridor, chewing her thumb, looking out in space. You should be there for her too, John.

Man the fuck up.

I forced myself to walk over towards where Angela was standing. She was so completely zoned out that she didn't notice me approach, and slightly flinched as I placed my hand gently on her shoulder. She looked up to me with those big, blue, beautiful eyes completely identical to Katy's, which, especially in a moment as raw and as intense as this, completely broke my heart.

The tears had swelled, and she bit her lip as they quivered, holding back the sobs.

I pulled her close to me, instantly engulfing her in a hug as we stood in the middle of the walkway. No words were said; nor were they needed. I wrapped my arms tightly around her small frame, as her arms did the same to my body. I rested my head atop of hers; letting out a deep breath.

How could, what was the to be the best day of my life, suddenly take a horrible turn so quickly?

I somehow found comfort in the warmth of Angela's body, as if it was consciously telling me everything was going to be okay, when the other half of me was telling me otherwise. I couldn't lose her. Not now, not ever.

I needed her. Our baby needed her.

I felt my body tense as the toxic thoughts ran through my head, like a carousel of sorts. No, John. Stop thinking the worst. She's a fighter; there's no way she is ready to leave the two of you.

I felt Angela's body move slightly, making me move my head, placing my hands on her arms as she took a deep breath and looked up to me with a smile. The most fictitious of smiles. But she was trying to be strong for me; and I knew I had to do the same for her.

"We should probably go and see the others," She said nervously as she bit her lip, curling a strand of her long wavy hair around her index finger.

"You're right. I don't think I can handle being here much longer anyway. Let's go," I smiled as I took her hand in mine as we both walked towards the waiting room. God, was I dreading it. I didn't have any updates, or good news. I knew just as little as everyone else, and I was definitely just as confused.

The faces of the people Katy and I loved most, as Angela and I entered the waiting room, broke my heart. I'd never seen a group of people look so broken, so hurt, so stressed. As I stood at the doorway, I noted how my parents were sitting with Katy's, both of our mothers and Ann with tears rolling down their cheeks as our fathers tried to comfort them; David was looking out of a window, his face distant and broken; Carl and Ben were sitting on a couch, staring into space, not communicating stupidly with one another like they usually would. Victoria and Sarah sat together on the other chairs, holding one another's hands, Sarah resting her head on Victoria's shoulder.