Chapter Thirty-One: A Break In The Clouds

John's POV:

"Mom, Dad," I said, almost whispering as the nerves caught up with me as I chimed gently on the champagne glass I had in my hand.

Both of my parents turned their heads to look at me in confusion, as I stood up in my seat, looking over to Katy, who met me with one of her gorgeous smiles.

"I'd like to make a toast to spending time with you both here, in Montana, and welcoming Katy into the family," I continued, as my parents broke out into a smile, thinking this was a casual toast as this would be our last dinner together as we were both leaving tomorrow just before dusk.

"Speaking of family, there's nothing that makes me happier than getting to spend time here on the ranch, having beers and just relaxing. Sometimes I can forget just how beautiful life is when you're living in the city. You can forget that family comes first," I continued, trying to tell myself to slow down as I talked, the nerves trying to overtake my body.

"And, speaking of family, you have been the most important people in my life, I wouldn't be half the person I am today without you. I wouldn't have been able to follow my dreams and passion if it weren't for you both," I continued, seeing my parents smile as they watched me, the glass shaking in my hand.

"Which is why I want you to be the first to know, that Katy and I are expecting a baby," I finished, turning to Katy, who giggled cutely. She never looked happier than she did right now, and it was beautiful.

I turned towards my Mom, who had gone silent, a hand covering her mouth as her eyes were widened in shock. I could see the tears forming in her eyes, and she looked back and forth from Katy and I as she broke out into the brightest, most beautiful smile I've ever seen.

"Oh my goodness!" She suddenly exclaimed, hurriedly getting out of her chair and racing over to me, wrapping her arms tightly around my chest as she started to cry. I rested my hand gently on her head as she cradled herself into my body, inhaling her sweet perfume that she's worn since I could remember. I looked toward Dad, who was looking at the both of us, smiling and nodding his head as he made his way to Katy.

My Mom pulled herself away from my body, holding my arms and looking into my eyes.

"John... I can't believe this... My first grandchild," She said, smiling as her eyes continued to water.

"I'm so proud of you, and I'm so happy. Oh, I am so, so, so incredibly happy!" She laughed as she wiped away tears that fell down her face with the cuff of her sleeve.

"Katy!" She said, shifting her focus to my beautiful girlfriend who was talking to my father beside us, her grip still tight on my arm.

Katy looked toward her, and they both embraced one another in a tight hug, Katy now crying too. Even Dad's eyes were glistening, though I knew better than to think he was going to let anybody see him cry.

I smiled watching the two of them caress one another, the love they shared so pure and happy. I'd give anything to be able to capture this moment forever.

"John, my son," My dad stated, pulling me out of my daze watching Katy and Mom and making me turn to face him. He looked at me, smiling, as he opened his arms, pulling me in for a hug, patting my back as he did so.

"This is great news, I'm so proud of you son," He said into my shoulder, his grip on me right and protective.

"Thank you Dad, that means a lot, truly," I said as I pulled myself away to face him.

"You're both going to make wonderful parents to this baby. Your Mom and I have never been happier, I'm just so happy for you," He continued, making my eyes water. He was rarely as honest and raw as he was right now, which made the moment even more special. The fact that my parents were proud of me, meant the world and beyond. I knew I had to be a good father to this baby, if not for myself, but for them and Katy.