Chapter Three: Time, The Ultimate Truth Teller

I woke up due to the light pouring in the room, the sun again shining directly onto my face. I grunted and went to roll over, which is when I felt the gentle heartbeat of another person underneath the palm of my hand. That's when I realised I wasn't in my bedroom, instead I was still cuddled up to John, who was sleeping peacefully. The both of us were still on the couch from last night, basking in each other's warmth. I took the time to study John's face, how it had changed so much yet stayed the same over the year. His hair was much shorter than before, casually swept to the side, making him that much more attractive. His jaw line was so defined, everything placed so perfectly on his face. I carefully moved his hand from around my waist, being cautious not to wake him up. I walked into the kitchen to boil the kettle for the coffee, grabbing my phone from the bench and checking the time. 10:23AM.

I remembered that I was supposed to drive up to Santa Barbara today, where I would spend the days over Christmas there as a reunion with my family. As much as I loved my family, I felt exhausted today. Maybe the jet lag and quality of sleep from the days before we're finally getting to me. I finished making my coffee, and just as I was lifting the mug up to my mouth, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist from behind.

"You're up before me. Are you feeling ok?" John laughed, jokingly pretending to feel my temperature. I slapped his hand away playfully, before adding, "The sun was shining directly onto my face which woke me up, but you wouldn't know about that because you were completely passed out. I thought I should be the exhausted one!"

We both laughed and he put his head beside my neck, kissing my cheek repeatedly. I turned around to face him, before planting a soft kiss on his lips and leaving with my coffee into the lounge room. John followed me, his hair scruffy from sleep. He looked adorable, and as much as I tried, I couldn't keep my eyes off of him.

"What's on your agenda today? We didn't really get around to talking what's coming up for the both of us last night. Where are you spending Christmas?" He asked, sipping a vitamin water on the couch beside me.

"I'm supposed to be going to Santa Barbara to see everyone later on today, and that's where we will be spending Christmas. I just feel exhausted today, though, and I don't know why."

"Well you did just finish a part of your tour, obviously you're exhausted from that. You don't really find any time to rest, do you?"

"Not really. Though I suppose when I get up there I'll be able to rest and lay low before I have to come back here and do all the jobs lined up. I'm so tired that I can't even remember what I'm doing half of the time."

"You really need to look after yourself, Kate. Though I can't say I haven't been exhausted from work too. As soon as Christmas is over I have to go back into the studio, though it feels like I've only just released the last album."

"Sucks to be us! Bradford has been trying to get me to make an appointment to go into the studio to talk about my next album, but I haven't even finished with PRISM, I don't understand how he thinks I'm supposed to write songs in the middle of a world tour. I barely have time to sleep," John looked at me sympathetically while I sipped my coffee. I could tell he was thinking, his eyes burning into the side of my face while I was drinking.

"What?" I said, turning to face him. He chewed his lip nervously, before answering "Nothing babe." He got out from where he was sitting, walking toward me and placed a tender kiss on my lips. It felt so good to have him again, his smell, his aurora. "Nothing at all."

He turned around and walked upstairs, before I got out of my seat and into the kitchen to wash my mug.

We walked, hand in hand, to my car. I loved the feeling of protectiveness he gave me, like I was the only person in the world he cared about. He lifted my heavy suitcase into the trunk before closing the hood and turning to me. I'd only been with him for not even half a day, yet I was finding having to say goodbye terribly difficult. Maybe because the last time we said goodbye, it was a break up, maybe because I was scared I wouldn't see him again like last time. My stomach was in a knot, and I gulped, even though my mouth was desert dry. I chewed my bottom lip nervously, fearing that if I opened my mouth to speak only tears would stream down my face. I could sense he was feeling off too, and there was a moment of silence between the both of us. Awkwardness.... We didn't know when we'd see each other next, even though we knew we were together again.