maybe we need a break

---

Whilst Lizzie was attentively participating in an online interview, upstairs Liam was preoccupied with his own activities. In the middle of the interview, Lizzie realized that Liam had not made an appearance, causing her to shift her focus back to the interview, along with wondering about Liam's whereabouts.

Finally, the interview concluded and Lizzie made her way up the stairs to investigate Liam's situation. Peering into the room, she caught Liam engrossed in his console. With her concern assuaged, Lizzie made her way downstairs to prepare dinner.

As she bustled about the kitchen, she suddenly felt arms wrapping around her waist. Soon enough, Liam began to pepper her cheeks and neck with kisses, much to Lizzie's delight. She let out a contented hum.

"How'd the interview go?" Liam asks. "Good. How'd your game go?"

Liam chuckled. "Average. This guy kept headshotting me from nowhere!" Liam ranted as Lizzie listened.

"It's not fair! He kept targetting me as if i'm the only enemy there!" He continued ranting.

"Okay, go make yourself useful and set up the table." Lizzie shooed him away, and Liam obliged.

Liam set up the table, and waited for Lizzie to serve whatever she cooked. She then served the food as the both of them ate blissfully. Fortunately for them, Liam's phone kept ringing. Liam didn't bother to check who was calling, he was assuming that it was probably just a spam caller.

The ringing got worse as they finished dinner. Lizzie kept telling Liam to check who it is, but Liam just shook his head 'no' and continued whatever he was doing. Liam settled his phone on top of the dining table and joined Lizzie on the couch watching whatever.

Lizzie naturally nuzzled on Liam's warm body, and Liam played along. It is currently 7:03pm to be exact. It was a rainy night, the rain was pouring down nonstop.

Liam's phone kept exploding crazily. Until Lizzie's patience was exhausted. She told Liam to check who was calling, and Liam obliged. As soon as he saw Amelia's name invade his screen, he felt guilt wash over him.

"Why the hell are you calling me nonstop? What the hell do you need?" Liam bursted.

"Liam, we need you in London as soon as possible. Dad's cancer got worse, he may not be able to last for 4 days." Liam's heart fell into the pit of his stomach.

He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Liam's father, Philip was privately suffering from colon cancer for the past 3 years now. Only their family was aware of how serious the situation was, but his father insisted.

"Fuck." Liam muttered before ending the call and running upstairs. Lizzie was caught by surprise on what just happened.

Liam was swift like a fox. He instantly booked a flight to London, and packed up anything he needed. He was fast in running downstairs and unbolting the front door.

"Liam. Where are you going?" Lizzie took a hold of his wrist as he took it back.

"I'll be back in 4 days."

"No te-"

He cut her off by slamming the door behind him. He felt a pang of guilt wash over him as he walked further from his home. He got in his car before starting his journey to the airport.

The drive to the airport was rather quick. Liam was too eager to hop on the plane. He couldn't keep his mind at ease. His legs were bouncing up and down uncontrolably. He was too anxious.

The moment the plane took off, Liam couldn't keep the tears back anymore. He was praying rather hard to atleast lessen the severeness of his father's situation. Despite his and Philip's misunderstanding and grudge-holding, Liam never threw away what Philip did for him.

The whole plane ride was quiet, although Liam couldn't sleep. There were babies crying, the pilot announcing. Liam was far too desperate for it to land like he wants to barge into where the pilot is. But of course, he didn't have the guts to do so.

The moment the plane landed, Liam was swift in hopping off. He headed through security and claimed his luggage. He ended up calling a taxi to bring him to the hospital where his father was confined.

Liam's breathing only got worse as they slowly arrivev at their destination. Liam couldn't stay at ease, his legs kept bouncing up and down. He also felt a pang of guilt wash over him by just thinking how he left Lizzie.

Arriving at the hospital, he made sure to tip the driver. He inhaled a large amount of air before entering the massive building that stands before him.

There he saw unsettled patients, running staff, and children suffering. His heart dropped as he watched his surroundings, he couldn't imagine how hard it must be for children at such a young age to suffer.

He then approached the front desk. "Hello, uh yes hi. Where is uhm.. Mr. Philip Warfold?" He frantically asked.

"And you are?"

"Liam Warfold, now please tell me where he is." He started panicking as he spoke. "Sir you need to calm down. Please give me a moment."

Liam was unimpressed by the staff's response. "How can i possibly calm down?! My father is dying." He slightly raised his voice.

"Sir please lower down your voice."

"Please.. just tell me where he is." He spoke below a whisper, his voice soon cracking.

He rested his head on his open palm, completely stressed about the situation. Until he heard a familiar voice speak behind him.

"You should've arrived an hour ago." She spoke coldly. Liam looked over behind him in confusion and saw Sandra standing with her arms crossed. Her eyes were pumped, she must have been crying.

"What do you mean?"

"Dad's dead. You're too late." Liam shook his head in denial. His heart dropped to his stomach. His world came crashing down.

"Stop fucking around, he's not dead. You told me 4 days!" He raised his voice as Sandra pulled him outside of the building.

"I'm not clowning around Liam. Dad died an hour ago, he was wondering where you are. He's fucking dead and there's nothing, not even tears could bring him back." Liam looked down with guilt.

"Where is he now?" Liam's voice started cracking. "He's in the mortuary, that's where the rest are." Sandra motioned him to follow her as he did so.

"Are you.. mad at me?" Liam avoided eye contact.

"No. I'm disappointed."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I mean you did try your best to arrive as soon as possible."

All Liam did was hum. He still couldn't shake the guilt off of him even if Sandra denied that it was his fault. They soon arrived at the montuary where the rest of the family stood.

His mother approached him and embraced him. "My boy.." she whispered against his chest.

"I'm sorry..."

...

this actually happened to my aunt, i was very young at the time. so i didn't understand the situation much. so tell your aunts that you love them, that you miss them. cuz you never know whenever people die.