summertime sadness

summertime sadness

---

Liam felt a suffocating sense of despair on the day of Philip's funeral. The guilt that consumed him since learning he had arrived too late lingered relentlessly. Standing before the mirror in his full black suit, memories of the first time he wore a suit with his father flooded his mind.

Regardless of his whereabouts or current occupation, memories of his father always inundated his thoughts. In fact, he had yet to disclose the details to Lizzie, which only heightened his difficulty in coping.

As the ticking clock marked the approaching hour of the funeral, Liam found himself dreading this event like no other. Yet, it unfolded regardless. Life's unfairness seemed merciless, punishing one for a wrong by forcing them to start anew.

Amelia entered the room, breaking the silence. "Liam, everything is prepared," she stated.

"Okay," Liam replied in a tone devoid of emotion. All he could feel was an unbearable pain-a pain he wished upon no one else.

Of course, this pain was shared by the rest of the family. Philip held a unique place in the hearts of each family member, intensifying the difficulty of overcoming his loss.

As they neared the destination, Liam's breathing grew heavier. The weight on his shoulders seemed insurmountable. His father had been his rock, his guiding force.

Casting a brief glance at his watch to confirm the time, Liam realized they had already arrived at the church. He took a deep breath before opening the car door and stepping out.

Adjusting his blazer, he joined the rest of the group, feeling the air grow thin the closer they approached their destination.

Families and friends had gathered to commemorate the life left behind. Everyone shared stories of Philip, recounting how he had inspired them to never give up. It was torturous for Liam. The moment arrived when he was called upon to deliver his own tribute to his father.

Standing up and moving towards the altar where the microphone awaited, Liam took a deep breath and embraced the spotlight.

"My father was an extraordinary man. He was my pillar, my entire world. We would often sneak out of the house and watch movies together, despite our differences." he began.

"He somehow managed to convey the message that life rarely unfolds as expected, with fortune and misfortune alternating their visits. He was the greatest father one could ask for. If you were to find one of us, you would undoubtedly find the other, united in love and shared experiences."

"Without even making an effort, he effortlessly transformed impossible tasks into achievable feats. Whenever tears streamed down, he used to assure me, saying 'It's just you and me'. He would enthusiastically lead me towards solace."

"Reflecting upon it, it's truly astonishing how he transitioned from being a soldier to a successful entrepreneur. That's just one instance of the many seemingly impossible goals he flawlessly accomplished. My father was always filled with motivation, enabling me to triumph in my first badminton match. He taught me the intricacies, regulations, and every little detail pertaining to the sport."

With a deep breath, I vowed to my father, "I will carry on your legacy and relentlessly pursue the destiny that awaits me in the future."

Everybody clapped and shared smiled with me as i went back to my seat. "I'm proud of you, big bro." Leon whispered to Liam as he gently smile at him, greatful for the presence of one another.

Without another word being spoken, the ceremony of the funeral began. Liam felt like he was in hell. He couldn't stand another minute seeing his father getting burried feet underground.

He couldn't just accept the fact that he could never see his father ever again. He looked over to his sister, Sandra who was shedding tears. He knew he was not alone in this situation. He walked closer to Sandra, reassuringly hugged her sides as she laid her head on his shoulder.

Once the burial was done, everybody was allowed to leave. But the rules did not apply to both Sandra and Liam. They were 'Papa's rocks'. Shedding tears as they stood next to eachother, appreciating eachother's presence in this time around.

"I'm gonna miss him. So damn much." Sandra mumbled against Liam's chest.

"I will too. You aren't alone in this." He spoke reassuringly, gently placing a kiss on her head.

"But we have to go. Mother is going to wonder where on earth we have been." He said, trying to boost the mood atleast just a little bit.

They both stood there for as long as they could. Until the sun was starting to set. They made their way to Liam's apartment, where they satvon the couch taking in the dull atmosphere of the oblivion of the apartment that was once filled with laughter and joy.

Liam was overjoyed to finally have his own apartment. He had been looking forward to it for years. His parents had came to a decision that he grew independent and is now capable of taking care of himself.

A smile quickly grew on his delicate lips as walked inside the new apartment. He settled his luggage on the side as he ran everywhere, taking in the new chapter of his life.

"So how do you like it?" His father, Philip spoke walking out of the bedroom.

"I freaking love it, Dad!" Liam exclaimed, as a smile grew bigger on Philip's lips. He felt so proud, and happy that he achieved a new accomplishment in life as a father.

"Told you i got it all set." Philip embraced Liam tightly.

"Thank you, Dad. Truly."

"Of course. You deserve it."

Liam snapped back to reality, as he noticed his sister looking at a certain picture frame hanging on the wall. It was a picture of the 6 of them, taking in eachother's presence.

"Dad has a charming smile." She mumbled as Liam nodded.

"Who knew a smile could hide so much pain?"

...

i cannot anymore