i'm nothing without you

---

Upon arriving at his former apartment, Liam clutched an envelope and left his bag by the shoe rack before placing the envelope on the countertop. Sitting on the couch, he struggled to come to terms with his father's death, as his mind wandered off. He rubbed his face roughly, observing the blandness of his old home, which felt foreign to him.

Liam's phone battery had died the previous day, preventing him from seeing Lizzie's messages. Eyeing the envelope on his counter, he marveled at how his father predicted his final thoughts. His mother later informed him of the funeral arrangements, and Liam pondered whether he would return to Lizzie, knowing full well that life was unpredictable and uncertain.

He felt like a piece of him was lost, as if everything from his birth to his present had merged together, citing his father's inspiring role in his life. Liam realized that his father's death taught him the importance of cherishing life and living it to the fullest, as nothing is guaranteed.

As he stepped into the bathroom, somebody knocked at the door. Liam shouted that he would be with them shortly, taking a shower as he did. After exiting, he was taken aback to see his mother and Amelia waiting for him.

Liam asked, "What brings you here?" as they passed him and sat on the couch, prompting his mother to indicate that he should open the envelope.

"Me and your father have been preparing for you and Amelia to inherit the family company."

Stunned, Liam listened as his mother disclosed that he was set to inherit the family company. "Me? Company? What do you mean?" Liam said, attempting to remain calm.

As the oldest son, you are required to lead the company alongside Amelia," the mother announced, gazing between the two siblings.

"Sorry," Amelia whispered to Liam as he clasped her hand tightly.

"Mother, I have already established myself and do not want to jeopardize my reputation. Additionally, Amelia has the freedom to choose whether or not to be involved in the company," Liam responded in a soft tone, smiling gently.

"Both of you don't have an option. Being part of the family means being part of the family business," their mother declared firmly.

Frozen in their tracks, the siblings struggled to come up with a response.

"Mother, please do not let your emotions take control. We love what we do, and it's not just us. What about Sandra and Leon," Liam explained on behalf of himself and his siblings.

"Enough! If I say you must do it, then you have to. You know how I am," their mother replied, silencing any objections.

"Mom is right. If our mother orders us to do something, we must comply. She has always been like that," Amelia disclosed to her brother, squeezing his knee for emphasis.

"Why should we automatically obey our mother's orders? What gives her the right to expect perfection from us?" Liam furrowed his brow, clearly irked by his mother's demands.

"Mother, I'm sorry but I don't want to participate. I have a life that I want to live," Liam announced politely, as their mother stood up from her seat.

"Please, for your father's sake. And for us," the mother pleaded weakly, her eyes revealing that her own time was running out. "Atleast talk to Sandra about it."

"I will. But if she agrees, you have no choice," their mother declared, a small wave of relief washing over Liam.

"We can never be the same children we were before," Liam said gravely, escorting his mother and sister out of the room. He knew he had disappointed his father, but he had to speak his mind.

---

Liam stood in front of the full-length mirror, the weight of the moment settling heavily on his shoulders. Tomorrow would mark the funeral of his beloved father, and Liam had spent the past few days immersed in a whirlwind of emotions. It was a somber occasion, and he knew he had to present himself with dignity and strength.

He took a deep breath, his hand trembling slightly as he reached for the suit hanging on the back of the door. It was a dark charcoal color, tailored to perfection. Liam's father had always emphasized the importance of dressing well, and this suit had been carefully chosen for this very occasion. As he slipped into it, the fabric hugged his frame in a comforting way, providing a sense of armor against the sorrow that awaited him.

Liam adjusted the collar and straightened his tie, a simple yet elegant black silk one. He looked into the mirror, his hazel eyes reflecting a mixture of sadness and determination. The suit fit him impeccably, a testament to the care and attention that went into its creation.

His thoughts drifted to memories of his father. They had shared countless conversations about life, love, and everything in between. His father had been his rock, offering guidance and support at every turn. Now, with his father's sudden passing, Liam felt like a ship lost at sea, searching for a beacon to guide him through the storm.

As he stared at his reflection, Liam resolved to honor his father's memory in the best way he knew how. In his suit, he found strength and a renewed sense of purpose. It would serve as a visual representation of the respect and love he held for his father.

Liam's gaze shifted to the picture of his father on the dresser. His father's warm smile seemed to radiate from the photograph, reminding Liam of the unwavering love they had shared. He blinked back tears, his throat tightening with a mix of grief and gratitude.

Tomorrow, surrounded by family and friends, Liam would stand tall, embodying the qualities his father had instilled in him. He would draw upon the memories and lessons they had shared, finding solace in the knowledge that his father's spirit would forever be with him.

As the evening light began to fade, Liam took one final look at his reflection. He straightened his shoulders and ran a hand through his dark hair, summoning the strength he would need for the days ahead. The suit, now more than a mere piece of clothing, had transformed into a symbol of honor and love.

With a steadying breath, Liam turned away from the mirror, ready to face the somber yet important task that awaited him. Tomorrow, he would bid his father a final farewell, standing tall and proud in his suit, a living testament to the legacy his father had left behind.