𝐓𝐖𝐎﹗

" easier said than done

" easier said than done. "

THIRTY-FOUR HOURS since the interview, and my inbox has yet to be filled with an email regarding Rainer's decision.

"Patience is the key, Ari!" Salem smiles, placing her hand on my shoulder as she takes a peek at my screen. I want her to take off those rose-tinted glasses because this girl is too kind. "Well I lost that fucking key, then." I click on the refresh button once again with a snarl.

We have been sitting here for nearly two hours. Two hours and I spent them overthinking whether I'd get the position or not, while Salem was in her own world. My patience is slowly starting to run out, the amount of times I refresh my inbox in five minutes would increase.

The silence is filled with her sigh and she lays down on her back, legs crossed while I'm still anxiously refreshing. "We should go out, get your mind off of that for a while." Salem suggests, and I consider the idea. I've been sober for nearly two weeks and I'm not sure how much longer I can handle it. I'm just hoping Rainer speeds up his emails and lets me know before we get out of this apartment.

After all, it was nearing midnight, but I doubt he was out of the office at this time. The sudden image of him leaning back in his chair, eyes fixated on the brightly lit screen, blazer off, the first few buttons of his polo unbuttoned, and his hair all messed up comes up in my mind.

What the fuck?

In an attempt to get the image out of my head, I try to think of other things. Right, drinking with Salem. I really need a drink, now more than ever. Dogs! I'm a huge dog lover, especially when it comes to Stacey, Salem's golden retriever. My thoughts roam various topics that I enjoy but I can't seem to get my mind off of Rainer. Rainer with puppies. Rainer holding flowers. Rainer at the beach. Rainer drinking.

I shouldn't be imagining these kinds of things about my boss —Who's not even officially my boss yet— this late at night. Everyone knows what happens with sexual thoughts past 11 P.M. It's unprofessional and weird, but it's also now imprinted in my brain. There are times where I'm thankful for my creativity, such as when I'm working, but these are the times that I'm ashamed. Just like this very moment.

I rest my elbows on my knees, closing my eyes as I cover my face in embarrassment, I feel my cheeks heating up yet again. I groan, my hands move up to my head and tug on my hair in frustration.

"What'd you imagine now?" Salem snickers, she's known me long enough to know my exact actions when I picture something. That's enough to explain how many times this has happened because Salem has memorized my reaction when it does.

I'm debating on telling her, knowing damn well she would probably smack me on the head if I did. "It's nothing, just—" My lips shut due to the fact that I'm cut off by the sound of a notification on my laptop, and it's none other than an email. An email from Rainer. I can't help but think if my image of him earlier was true. Though I was way too excited to ponder that thought. My fingers desperately roam and click on the trackpad, but before I can check the email, my laptop is snatched from my hands by Salem.