𝐓𝐄𝐍

" his best friend

" his best friend. "

RAINER HAS BEEN distant lately. Mostly because of work, and I can't blame him, but I also can't help myself from feeling bad. Indeed, I see him every day but it's not the same.

And so I found myself seeking comfort in his childhood best friend, Saint.

"If you think Uno is rude now, you should've seen him in high school." Saint chuckles. I notice his eyes disappear, just like Rainer's, when he chuckles and he shakes his head every time. He's sitting across from me in his condo, eating a huge sandwich from Subway, which he has nearly choked on many times while telling old middle and high school stories of him and Rainer.

My favorite was when Saint told me he rejected every single girl that tried to ask him out or confessed they had a crush on him. The thought of twelve-year-old Rainer staring back at a desperately in love girls smile fading when the words 'I'm not interested' leave his mouth makes me happy.

Saint could only glare at me when I chuckled as he told me about each girl that admitted they had a crush on his best friend. Though, I can't help but wonder what's the meaning behind that 'Uno' nickname. From what I know, it's the Spanish word for 'one' or 'first' and it definitely has a deep meaning due to his reaction when Saint brought it up.

"Hey, Saint?" I ask, bringing my head up to look at him.

He hums in response, "Lia?" His nickname for me. Well, he certainly is a man of special nicknames, no one else calls me that.

"What's the meaning behind Uno?"

"Do you mean your asshole boss or the nickname?" He jokes while chuckling, though I glare at him which makes him stop.

"The nickname, of course." I say.

"I think it's best if you ask him yourself. It's a personal thing, to be honest." Saint explains and my heart nearly drops. All of the things it could possibly be. What kind of girl would get into a BDSM contract with a man she knows nothing about? Let alone her boss.

Me, I'm that kind of girl. Aurelia fucking Emberlyn who agreed to a sex contract with her asshole of a boss that's doing this because of his desperate parents. I'm just thankful I'm not that connected to Father anymore, or else I'd be caught dead floating in the sea.

As he's busy eating away his sandwich, I'm stuck here overthinking. Is it because he's the number one asshole? Number one student or valedictorian? Number one player? My mind is full of thoughts and I decide to just focus on my own meal before I puke it all over myself and this table due to all these possibilities.

I sigh heavily, taking another huge bite of my burger. "Fine. But I swear if it's some stupid thing, I will hit you!" I threaten him jokingly before laughing and I, too, cough up my sandwich.

I'll have to admit, Saint is one hell of a guy that's nice to be around. He's the complete opposite of Rainer, just like me, and our energies radiate to each other and the people around us perfectly. While Rainer is hard, calm, and collected, we're soft, loud, and crazy.