𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

" the talk

" the talk. "

IT'S THE NEXT day.

I'm sitting at my desk in Rainer's office, trying so desperately to focus on my work. It's quite hard when you're expecting his parents in a few minutes to talk about whether or not you'll reveal your fake engagement with him.

I fiddle with my engagement ring, it fits perfectly on my ring finger. I can't believe my own words, engagement ring, I was always the least affectionate one out of my sisters, used to the one night stands and fuck buddies with no strings attached.

Though, I can't say I didn't blush when Rainer got on one knee in front of me at a fancy restaurant and "proposed." It was truly a shocking event and thankfully, not many people paid attention to the fact that he's the Rainer Morelli.

Either way, it was all worth the free cake and champagne.

I sigh, clicking my pen and dropping it on the blank paper on my desk. The room is quiet, too quiet, to the point that I can hear each tick of the small clock on my desk.

Rainer's out. Busy with a meeting, as always, though in a few minutes he'll be back.

My gaze shifts to his desk, all the memories come back to me, a mix of good and bad. My cheeks heat up as I return my gaze to the lit screen in front of me, typing away an email but the peace is then disrupted by the door opening.

"Rainer." I say, immediately standing up from my seat. He has his leather briefcase in hand as he calmly walks to his desk, despite the irritated expression on his face.

He doesn't respond and only nods before throwing his briefcase onto the couch and walking to his seat. I lick my lips, inhaling sharply and stepping away from my chair, heading towards him.

I swallow my saliva, watching him start up his monitor as I slowly walk to the side of his L-shaped desk, tapping along the marble. Rainer doesn't spare a single glance for me, his hand reaches for his mouse before he starts typing his password into the screen and unlocking it.

"Rainer." My voice is gentle and smooth, pleasing to the ears and my tone certainly catches his attention. He turns his head ever so slightly in my direction, his eyes glued on the screen.

"I know I've asked you this a thousand times and you've answered the same thing each time but," I trail off, taking a deep breath. "What are we? Because, I don't think this is just boss and employee anymore."

He parts his lips to speak but I cut him off. "We're not co-workers either, or boyfriend and girlfriend, because you never properly asked me." My voice is shaking the tiniest bit and I don't understand why.

Rainer's chest rises and falls as he takes a deep breath. His emerald eyes meet mine and I feel like my clothes are getting ripped off one by one with each second his gaze is on me.

"You can't say we're engaged too because we both know that's just—" And then suddenly, he stands up from his seat and snakes his arm around my waist, pushing me onto the large, ceiling high window.

His face is inches away from mine, one deep breath and he could pull me into a deep kiss. I part my lips and hold in my breath when I feel his lower body being pushed against mine.

I'm pinned to the wall. His forearms are on either side of my head and my whole body, ass and everything, is pressed against the window.

"Just because I say we're boss and employee doesn't mean you aren't under me. It doesn't mean you aren't mine, just as much as I am yours." He whispers, his voice low and husky.

His tone is filled with anticipation and desire and I catch his evade moving from my eyes to my parted lips. He leans down and now he's less than an inch away from kissing me.

God, this fucking tease.

I close my eyes, preparing for another passionate, rough kiss but then the sound of the door opening breaks all of the tension between us. My eyes jolt open and I see Rainer's side profile as well as the back of his head, his gaze focused on something behind him.

The door. My gaze lands on the open door and it's none other than Camilla and Malcolm standing in the doorway.

"Camilla, Malcolm!" I chuckle softly, dusting off my skirt as Rainer finally removes his arms from the window. Camilla chuckles, pressing her hands against one another as I approach them.

"Bambina, you're telling me you want to hide interactions like that from the public?" She points to Rainer, who's awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck and walking towards us.

I stand in front of the both of them, who are sitting comfortably on the couch, my hands behind my back. I feel a familiar touch on my shoulder and I look over to see him standing next to me, standing proud with the other hand in his pocket.

"Yes, ma. That's exactly what we're telling you." He says.

"Aurelia, where's your ring?"

I'm sure she's expecting me to not have it but her reaction when I show off the 22k gold carat ring on my left ring finger is priceless.

Her mouth hangs open as she stands up, reaching her hand out to hold my hand in disbelief. "Rainer.. Non sei serio!" She exclaims.

"I'm more than serious, mom." He says, not a hint of offense in his tone. I try to tug my hand away but it seems like she can't seem to let go.

I gather the strength to really pull my hand away and thankfully, she lets go; of my hand, but not her snarky attitude and obsession with her son.

"I don't get what's the problem, ma. You wanted me to settle down and that is what I'm doing. Are you not happy with that? In the end it's our decision." His voice is harsher and much more serious.

Camilla scoffs, "Of course I'm happy, but you need to understand, amore, how much better things could be—"

"We'll reveal it when we're ready, ma, it's final."

I can almost predict Rainer's expression. Clenched jaw and dark eyes that are on the verge of rolling to the back of his head. I turn my head to see if I'm right, and as always, I am.

I could almost laugh at his expression, but I don't. Instead, I give him a sweet smile and tilt my head to lighten up his mood, even just the slightest bit, and it works.

His cheeks are tinted with a hint of rosy pink and my smile grows before I turn my head back to Camilla. She's giving me an 'I told you so' look and my smile fades as I scrunch my eyebrows.

"You two are so adorable I could publish that article at this moment." She says, reaching for her pocket and I quickly lean down to stop her.

"Camilla, please. I— Just don't!" At this point, I'm begging. She stares down at me with narrow eyes and I look up at her with the most puppiest, kindest, convincing eyes I can.

She finally takes her hand away and rests them on her sides. "Okay. I won't."

I sigh, but that's not all she says.

"But I can't promise that the news will spread from the family to the company."

Fuck.

────