𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

" morelli number two

" morelli number two. "

"ISABELLA! IT'S NICE to see you again." I smile, approaching the brunette haired woman with open arms.

"Ah, Aurelia! It's good to see you too." Her voice is rich and chic, matching the way she elegantly returns my hug perfectly. I'm shocked at how her personality has changed since the last time I saw her.

The last time, which was in Rainer's office, where she sat on his desk and pouted, calling him 'Rain' when I walked in.

I'm internally throwing up at the mental image of her that day, though I'm willing to see if I judged the book by the cover or if its contents matched the cover.

"I've got a reservation for Emberlyn." I ask the hostess, but Isabella brings her hand up, the other taking off her shades as the hostess stands awkwardly with her lips parted.

"Cancel it. Move us into a private room, please."

I blink a few times at her words and I can't help but let a chuckle escape from my lips.

"I.. Really, Isabella?"

"Please, just call me Isa." She smiles at me and I'm starting to see what Rainer meant by 'She's nice when you get to know her.'

A few days ago, I received a message from an unknown number and it was none other than Isabella Morelli-Hale. I'm not quite sure how she got my number, but I didn't have a choice when this woman asked if she could meet me on this very day.

The hostess leads us to an enclosed space where there's a small table for four ready for us. I give her a warm smile as we sit down, Isabella takes her spot in front of me and we both look at each other awkwardly.

The silence is broken by Isabella when she says, "How have you been, Aurelia?"

"Oh, me? Well, I can't quite say good, I'm in a sort of rough patch right now, but I think I can manage." I force a smile, my eyes scan over her features as she nods slowly.

"Rainer attempted to murder Saint."

I chuckle, "Yeah, exactly. How'd you know?"

"He's my older brother, I know everything. Plus, it's no surprise because those two weren't the nicest to each other when they were kids." She explains.

I hum in response, trying to imagine little Saint and Rainer fighting each other but the only thing that comes up in my mind is their fight the other day.

"Anyway, you're probably wondering why I messaged you to meet up." She says and I nod.

"I wanted to warn you about my older brother, though I think it's pretty late now." Isabella chuckles and I do too, agreeing to her statement.

"I can tell you're a great person, despite our first meeting," We both laugh. "Which is why I just want to warn you, cause it's pretty evident you two are polar opposites."

"My brother is a very confusing man."

Tell me about it.

Boss and employee yet he killed nearly two men for me?

"He's never direct with his feelings and I'm scared that he may do something to harm you." Isabella seems genuine and I'm surprised that she didn't take on the asshole genes like I assumed.

"As someone that's known him for my whole life, trust me."

I'll have to be careful with my words so as to not seem suspicious due to the fact that I'm assuming Rainer's parents have already told her the news. My heart is beating inside my chest at the topic, especially because of the fight I had with Rainer during the car ride home from the hospital.

A waitress approaches us to take our orders and I take a medium rare steak, not wanting to order too much and becoming a burden to Isabella. Her, on the other hand, orders a handful of food.

The second the waitress leaves, I decide to spark up a topic yet again. "If you don't mind me asking, Isa, could you tell me more about Rainer?"

"Such as?"

"Like, his backstory or things I should know."

Isabella takes a deep breath and I can already sense what she's going to say.

"My parents despised Rainer. Always wanted him to do his best, be on top, and he did just that, look at him now. But that wasn't enough, they nearly forced him into a marriage because they were so tired of his player ass." She chuckles, shaking her head slightly and I scrunch my eyebrows.

"Player ass?"

"Oh, I think that's a topic you should ask him yourself." She presses her lips together and I raise an eyebrow.

My mind ponders what she could mean by that and then suddenly, that nickname Saint had given Rainer pops back into my mind.

Is that what she means?

Uno because he's the number 1 player?

I groan internally, scratching my head.

Isabella only laughs at my reaction, putting down the menu and intertwining her fingers. Her gaze can read me like an open book, and I'm not sure if I like that or not.

One wrong move or word and I could ruin everything for Rainer. Not just him, me too.

Us.

As if there is an us.

"All I'm saying is.. You should be careful, Aurelia. Don't let yourself be so open."

I nod, taking a deep breath.

"It's just sort of hard, y'know? Us being co-workers and having to hide our relationship. God knows what the hell would happen if other employees found out." I chuckle but the sincerity in my tone is clear.

The contract and our relationship is only pretend. Just like what the feelings in my tone should be, but I find myself putting my real emotions into my words.

And I hate it.

"I hope you know I care about you. That's why I'm here right now, warning you, because I don't want you to get hurt."

"Thank you, Isa! I appreciate that." When in reality, my heart is pounding in my chest, nearly dropping with how she mentions Rainer hurting me.

But then again, there's no promise that he'll keep me safe. After all, it's the contract that holds him back from going back to his abrasive personality and giving me one hell of a job.

I force a smile.

"Communication is the key, Aurelia."

I know, and I'm scared to hell that Rainer couldn't give less of a shit about losing that key.

────

So sorry for the recently half-assed chapters 🫡

I promise the next few chapters won't disappoint! We're also nearing the end of this book and I seriously can't wait 🥲

I love you all! Thank you so much for 14.8k reads too <3