CHAPTER 96

After hearing that, Jeon Jungkook understood it thoroughly. "So, if you hadn't saved the two little boys that day, you could have met her, so did you?"

At this time, Park Jimin's reaction became slower than it usually was. After a long while, he just replied with, "Yes."

As a friend of his, Jeon Jungkook knew that he was supposed to comfort Park Jimin, but he didn't know what to say at this moment. After a long silence, he just said, "You must regret it very much in your heart, right?"

"Not regret..." Park Jimin said intermittently, "I feel quite sad... Actually, I could have stayed on the shore, but I couldn't watch that little boy die in front of me. I also knew well that if I saved him, I might have drowned myself at that time...

"Well, you know me, I can't do nothing when I see others in mortal danger... In fact, I thought I would really die in that river, but when I thought about how she was waiting for me, I still managed to survive...

"Jungkook, do you know? When I served in the army, I was injured a lot, but I had never been as eager to survive as I was this time."

Jeon Jungkook knew that Park Jimin hadn't finished speaking, and he also knew that Park Jimin's mood was depressed to the extreme. Park Jimin had told him these things, not in order to hear something from him, but simply for Park Jimin to find an emotional outlet for himself.

So Jeon Jungkook didn't say a word and just sat there quietly, listening to him.

"I wanted to survive... because she was waiting for me..." Park Jimin's voice became somewhat muffled, but Jeon Jungkook still heard what he said after. "I would give my life for anyone in this country, but for her, I would try my best to survive...

"However, even though I survived, she wasn't there...

"I survived for her..." There was a tremble in Park Jimin's voice. "So far, I still don't know, I don't know what the meaning of being alive is. I feel like life is so meaningless, you know?"

Jeon Jungkook hadn't spoken just before, because he had been listening to him carefully, while at this moment, he hadn't said anything because he really didn't know how to reply to Park Jimin.

The room was so dark that he couldn't see Park Jimin's expression, but he could feel Park Jimin's immense sorrow deep down in his heart.

Park Jimin didn't say anything more.

The silence was even more obvious due to the complete darkness of the room. Jeon Jungkook could even hear his and Park Jimin's breathing.

Neither of them knew how long a time had passed. Park Jimin moved his body gently and said in a slightly hoarse voice, "I haven't felt my heartbeat in many years."

When Park Jimin's parents had passed away, and he had given up his dream, at that time, his enthusiasm had been suddenly demolished.

He had thought his life was essentially over and that he would muddle along from day to day for the rest of his existence.

When she had appeared, his blood had seemed to become fresh again, and even his heart had beat harder.

His heart, like a pool of stagnant water, had begun to resurrect, rippling into use. He hadn't realized clearly that he had been subconsciously enlightened by a new dream, until the day he had rescued the child from drowning and he had heard her words.

And that dream was her.

But his new dream was far more tragic than the one he had given up.

At least before, he had pursued his ambitious dreams and had enjoyed them, but what about her? It had been doomed to end even before it had ever started.