Chapter 34

I was sitting in a booth at Pops doing my homework with Odessa. Its in the middle of the evening and Ive been doing nothing, but homework since school let out. I wanted to spend some time with Odessa so I gave Noelle the rest of the day off. I know Odessa must feel like she hasnt seen a lot of mommy lately so I know she misses me. 

Hearing my daughter cooing, I glanced at her and we made eye contact. She smiles at me and reaches her little arms toward me. I smiled back at her; I set down my pencil, and picked her up from the high chair. I needed a break anyways since Ive been studying for hours. 

I held Odessa in my arms and my smile grew wider when Odessa put her little hand on my nose. I removed my laptop from the center of the table and set it aside so I could sit Odessa down there. Odessa was playing with one of my bracelets thats on my wrist. The one that Vincent gave me for our 15th birthday before we were almost robbed. 

The bracelet had a small charm, in the charm was a picture of Vincent and I. I hardly wear this bracelet because its too special to wear. I felt like wearing it today since Ive really been missing my brother. Odessa took the small charm in her hands and rubbed Vincents. I frowned at her knowing she misses her Uncle. I know you miss Uncle Vincent, baby girl. I miss him too. I told her, only earning a cooing sound from her. 

Odessa lightly dropped the charm and looked at me with her big, green eyes. I placed a soft kiss on Odessas forehead and as soon as I was closer to her, she wrapped her little arms around my neck. I chuckled and held my daughter in my arms. She put her head on my shoulder and just looked around the diner. Miss. Brooke, would you like something to eat? Youve been studying for hours. 

I looked at Pop Tate and nodded my head. Yes, please! Im actually hungry now from all the studying. I giggled, causing Pop Tate. Do you want your usual? Pop Tate asked, looking in between Odessa and I. Yes, and a extra soda. Im almost done with my homework and need all the energy I can get to get it done. I replied to Pop, and he chuckled. Coming right up. Its on the house, sweetheart.

I smiled at Pop Tate. Thank you.

Quickly before I go, hows the littlest princess doing? Pop Tate questioned, and I glanced at my now sleeping daughter. Shes a happy baby. I reply, smiling more as Pop Tate smiled at Odessa too. Im glad, that little bundle of joy is just like you. Pop Tate says to me, turning to walk away and that made my heart melt. Pop Tate went to the back. 

The door chiming made me turn my head toward the door wondering who had just walked in, it was Reggie and a few of the other Bulldogs, thats including Archie. The first one to see me was Archie and he waved and I waved back at him. Hey Brooke! Archie greeted us, walking over with the Bulldogs. Hey! Hows it going? Archie asks, pulling up a chair and sitting down. Good, what are you doing here? Archie raised an eyebrow at me and I look at him while the other boys joined.

Good, just hanging out with my daughter. I answered, I look down seeing Odessa woke up. You just woke her up. I laughed and Archie looked at Odessa. Im sorry, Odessa. Do you forgive me? Archie apologized to Odessa, Odessa just looks at him then smiles. She forgives you, Archie. I laugh, I looked at the other boys who were looking at Odessa. I re positioned Odessa so she can take a better look at them. Shes so cute! One of the boys exclaimed, smiling at Odessa. Odessa lets put an adorable little giggle. 

I smiled at her and kissed her cheek, making her smile more. That she is. Right now, shes loving the attention. I said, earning laughs from the boys. She looks just like you, except the only difference is her eye color. Another boy said, and I nodded my head. I get that all the time, Odessa gets her eye color from her dad. I tell them, and they become a little intrigued. Is the daddy in the picture? The same boy pushes his brows together a bit. I bit my bottom lip before speaking. N-no, h-hes not in the picture.

Why?

Reggie smacked his friend upside the head and gave him a look. What? I was just wondering!

We dont like the baby daddy. We dont talk about the baby daddy. We despise the baby daddy. We dont ask Brooke about the baby daddy. Dont ask questions that you dont want to answers to, dumbass. Got it? Reggie says to him, I tried not to laugh at that, but failed to do so. I let out a small giggle. Thanks, Reg. Oh and also, pleaee watch your language around my daughter. I warned, causing Reggie to look at me and nod his head. Sorry, Brookes. Ill watch my language around the baby. 

Thank you. But as Reggie said, we dont speak of the baby daddy. Just know that hes not in the picture. I told the boys and they nodded their heads. Thats understandable, but may I ask what happened between you and the baby daddy? One of the other boys asks me and I let out a soft sigh. Lets just it was a toxic relationship. Things didnt end well for us. I simply said as Pop Tate came around with my food. He sets down the food in front of me and it smelled so good. Thank you, Pop. I tell him and he nods his head at me as he turns to the boys. 

Would you boys like anything?

Yes, please! They all answered and started giving Pop Tate my order. Reggie was sitting next to Archie. I want to eat, but Im holding a child. I whined, as Reggie and Archie look at me. I can hold her. Both Archie and Reggie said at the same time. Each of you can hold her while I have my dinner. Im giving her to Archie first since she knows Archie. I said, handing Odessa over to Archie and he took her from me and I start eating my food. I looked at Odessa who was smiling at Archie and grabbing his nose, causing him to laugh. I smile, taking a bite of my burger. What were you doing before we showed up?

Homework. I was just taking a break. Im almost done. I reply, looking at Reggie and he nods his head. I chewed and swallowed my food. I took another bite of my burger as Archie handed over Odessa to Reggie. I kept an eye on Odessa just in case she starts to cry. It seems that shes enjoying his company so far. I chewed my food and swallowed before starting to munch on my fries. I scoot my small bowl of fries over to Archie, offering him some. He raised an eyebrow at me and I motioned my hands to the fries and he looked at them then at me. He took one of them and ate it. 

I swelled my fries and took a sip of my milkshake. I felt happy for the first time in a while, it honestly feels a little odd because Im used to feeling anxious and scared all the time. Im glad I went back for my daughter. I havent seen her this happy before either. I mean, she loves her Aunts, Mia, and Jasper, but she loves the new Aunties in her life so far. Shes getting to know more people as I take her out in the world more. Like for instance, she loves Pop Tate. She starts to smile widely the second she sees him. 

I continued eating my food, enjoying their company. I love seeing Odessa smiling and letting out little giggled every now and again. I felt my phone vibrate in my back-pocket; I reached in my back-pocket and pulled it out. I opened my phone to see who texted me. My heart sank to the pit of my stomach reading a text from an unknown number. 

From: 480-554-3468

Keep your friends close. 

Enemies closer.