Chapter 39

I sat in the dressing room at school, my costume hanging on the hook next to me. It was the night of the dance team's recital, and I was nervous as hell. This is technically my first dance recital since Ive had Desi. My parents, sister, daughter, friends and boyfriend stopped by earlier to wish me luck and brought flowers to wish me luck. 

I looked around at the other girls on the team, all of them getting dressed and ready for the performance. They chatted and laughed, but I couldn't join in. My stomach was in knots, and I felt like I was going to throw up.

"Are you okay?" Lux asked, noticing my anxious expression. I had just found out earlier today that Lux joined the dance team a while ago. I was glad since we could really use more dancers. We had been chatting all day up until this moment. 

I shook my head, feeling tears prick at the corners of my eyes. "I'm so nervous," I whispered. "What if I mess up?"

I looked down at my hands which were shaking. Lux put a comforting hand on my shoulder. "You're going to be amazing," she said firmly. "You've worked so hard for this, Brooke. You're going to do great." Lux encouraged me and I smiled at her. Thanks, girly. 

Thats good, thats good, deep breaths. Lux says, doing breathing exercises with me. Everyone here was nervous, but everyone showed it in different ways. I knew that Lux was right. I had worked hard for this moment, we all did, and I wasn't going to let my nerves get the best of me. The sole purpose of this performance to was not just raise awareness for our girl who got shot, but also to encourage other dancers to join our team. Tonight is supposed to change everything for us.

Lets get you finish getting ready. Ill do your hair and makeup, okay? Lux said, I nodded my head and we both went to the dressing chair I was at which had all my stuff. Lux started off with my makeup to match my costume, it was the costume that I was going to wear at my dance recital back home. But never got to wear it until now. 

Once Lux was done with my makeup, she started with my hair and did a cute updo. Thats when I went to go get changed. As I got dressed in my costume, I felt a sense of excitement building inside me. This was what I had been working towards since I got here, and I was going to give it my all.

After we made sure everyone was ready, we were called onto the stage. As the team headed out to the stage, I felt a sense of trust with the other girls. We had all worked so hard to get to this point, and I knew that we were going to do great.

As the music started, I felt my nerves slip away. I danced, my movements were fluid and graceful. I was a natural performer, and I knew that I was nailing every move. 

As the performance ended, the audience cheered,I felt a sense of relief wash over me as the team came together and bowed. We survived the first part of the show. Two other girls besides me had solos. 

We went backstage to watch the girls do their solos. First up was Clara. She was doing a hip-hop dance, The second the beat dropped she started dancing. I smiled proudly at my teammate. She was doing good and she finished off doing good too, the crowd cheered and roared for her when she was done. She bowed then she ran back to us. 

We all hugged her tightly. You did so good Clara! I told her as she hugged me. Thanks, Brooke! 

And up next we have Layla! The show host announced, and thats when Layla went on stage. We all watched her do her solar which was a contemporary solo. Shes really good at that and at ballet too. My nerves were kicking in again, I was the last solo performance of the night. I was doing a ballet dance. 

The crowd cheered for Layla after she was done and we also cheered for her too. She bows and runs back to us and we hugged her. You did so good!

You nailed it! 

Layla just giggles as she looks at me when my name is announced and the audience cheered for me. 

I exhaled sharpyl as the nerves kicked in again. Youre gonna do so great! Lux encouraged me and I smiled at her, grateful for her encouragement. 

I stepped out onto the stage as the audience quieted down. I stand in the center of the stage, the spotlight shining down on me. I take a deep breath and close my eyes, feeling the music pulse through my body. As the beat picks up, I begin to move, my limbs flowing gracefully with the rhythm.

In my mind, I imagine myself as a bird, soaring through the air with ease. I spread my arms wide and twirl, feeling the air rush past me. As I land, I hear a voice call out from the audience.

"Go, Brooke!" It's my best friend, cheering me on. I smile and continue to dance, feeling more confident with every step.

As the music reaches a crescendo, I leap into the air, spinning and flipping with precision. I land with a flourish, my heart racing with adrenaline. As the final notes fade away, I open my eyes and take a bow, the audience erupting into applause and roaring. I bowed and then ran backstage. 

"That was amazing!" My best teammates exclaim, running up to me. "You totally killed it!"

I grin, feeling proud of myself for putting on such a great performance. "Thanks," I say. 

Alright everyone, lets give the town a show theyll never forget! Ariella says and we all ran on stage to give our last performance of the night.  We got into position and right when the beat drops, we all started moving in sync. We were doing a hip-hop dance to end the show. When we were done we all came together to bow once the audience roared and cheered for us. Give it up one more time for the Riverdale Renegades! The show host ran on stage and the audience continued cheering for us and we all had big smiles on our faces.

Once the show was over, everyone started to clear out. As the team headed back to the dressing room, I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride in myself and my team. We had overcome so much to get to this point, but we had done it together.

And that was all that mattered. Hey guys! We should celebrate at Pops! Layla suggested. Definitely! We could all go together! My mom said she could take us! Layal tells us as we all gathered our things. 

The team cheered. Okay, cool! Ariella said, the team started heading out, I was running a bit behind since I had a lot of stuff to get. Brooke, you comin? Arielal asks me while walking up to me. I looked at her. Yeah, yeah! Ill catch up. Ill have my parents drive me. You guys go on ahead!I told her, she nods her head at me and runs off. 

Theres our little dancer! I heard Mom say from behind me and I turned around as everyone else. She was the first one to greet me with a hug. I looked behind her seeing Daddy carrying Odessa, AJ was with Saylor, Sweet Pea, Fangs, Toni, Jughead, Mr. Jones, Archie, Mr. Andrews, Betty, Sadie, Mr and Mrs. Cooper, all of them came. All of you showed up? I ask, letting go of my mom and Daddy was the second to hug me. 

My daughter grabbed my hair, causing me to laugh, that meant she wanted me to hold her. So, I took her from him and she gave me a kiss on my cheek. I smiled at her and kissed her hair. Of course, we did, honey. You are so talented! I had no idea you could dance. Mrs. Cooper said to me, I smiled more. Thanks, Mrs. Cooper. This has been the most normal thing Ive felt at all. I laughed and so did everyone else. Im really proud of you, hermanita. A familiar voice entered the room. 

I could not believe my eyes when I sawVINCENT?! 

He was holding a bouquet of daisies in his hands with a big ole smile on his face. 

I gave my daughter over to my Mom and I ran over to my twin brother, jumping into his arms. How did you- I go to say, starting to cry, because I missed my brother. Your friend's Mom is a good lawyer. Vincent chuckled as I clung onto to him. He was crying too. I really missed you. I told him. I really missed you too. Vincent says to me, I hugged him tightly not wanting to let go of him. 

I cant believe youre actually here. I laughed, wiping my tears. Vincent laughs as well. And I promise Im not going anywhere.

I wiped my tears away and had Vincent put me back down to my feet. We have a lot to catch up on, Violet. But Im glad you have good friends here. 

I smiled up at my brother as I looked at my friends while AJ walked over to me wrapping her arms around my shoulders. Yes she does. Now lets go to Pops and celebrate Bee! AJ demanded, causing me to laugh, but I nodded my head in agreement. She jumps onto my back and we all started to walk out of the dressing room. 

If only I was paying more attention to my surroundings, I wouldnt have gotten into a big mess.