Chapter 38

Babes, you dont need to do this if you dont want to. AJ says, as Toni, Sadie and I walk into the bar. No, this dance is important to me. Its the first dance Ive done at all since I had Desi- I go to say, but AJ interrupts me. Yes, honey, but you need to- AJ starts to say, but Toni covers her mouth. Have you not learned by now to not argue with Brooke? Toni asks AJ. AJ shoots Toni a glare and Toni gives her a look. Toni removed her hand from AJs mouth. Okay, okay. Im just saying. You were in panic attack mode last night and Im just worried about you. But because this is important to you, Ill keep my mouth shut and be a supportive bestie. AJ says to me and I just smiled at her. 

I turned to Sadie. You doing okay, pumpkin? I ask her, a small smile appears on Sadies face. Im okay, Brooke. 

I gave her a reassuring smile. Okay. 

We made our way to the stage. Have you chosen what song to dance to yet? AJ asked. I shook my head no since I havent had time to. No. Ive kind of been busy. I said to her. The girls giggle as we approached the stage. Does Sweet Pea know youre doing the Serpent Dance, babydoll? Toni questioned me. I turned my head to look at her. 

No, he doesnt. And lets keep it that way. He wont find out until tonight. I said. Hes gonna be surprised. Toni laughed while we started looking through songs on our playlists. How are you two doing by the way? Toni asks, and I looked at her. Were good, happy. Hes..worried about me as per usual. 

Hes been worried about you since day one, babes. Until that bitch ass ex boyfriend is behind bars hes gonna be worried and protective of you. AJ said, and we all knew thats true. Well, except for Sadie. Im not sure how much Betty has told her since I know for a fact Veronica has told Betty everything. I turned my head to look at Sadie. 

Has Betty told you anything about my ex? Im pretty sure my sister told yours everything about my pyscho ex boyfriend. I ask and told her. Sadie made a so-so hand gesture. Kind of. I just know that hes crazy. Sadie comments, causing me to giggle. Oh baby girl, hes a psychopath. Of course, he is. I tell her. Sadie shakes her head. Im really sorry you gotta deal with that. 

I shrugged my shoulders. Ive been dealing with it for two years now. I think I have enough evidence to try to make a case against Dakota again. I told her, earning a look of sympathy from the girls as Toni puts a comforting hand on my shoulder. We all sat down in a circle and AJ wrapped her arms around me and put her head on my shoulder and I leaned my head against hers. 

You will, baby girl. Especially with my mom on your side. Has Dakota bothered you at all, by the way? AJ asks me. The unknown message I got replayed in my mind when  the first black hood attacks started happening. Uh, no. I mean, I don't know. With the black hood attacks going on right now, Im not really sure who else is threatening me. I answered honestly, causing AJ to perk up and raise her eyebrows at me. 

And you didnt tell me?

In my defense, I forgot about it. Until now. I sighed as I took out my phone from my back pocket. I pulled up the phone number that texted me at the beginning of the black hoods attacks and showed the girls the text message I had received. Keep your enemies close. Enemies closer. Toni read outloud and a cold chill ran down my spine. Sadie scooted over to me and she wrapped her arms around me and I smiled at her. 

Thats scary. Is this the only message youve gotten, Kitten? Toni asks me and I nodded my head. Its the only one I promise. I havent received a text, phone call, package or anything. Its been too quiet and it scares me. I responded. Sadie rubs my back and AJ holds my hand. I dont like leaving my daughter even if its with people that I trust. Dakota could pop out of nowhere and just take her from me. I said to them, AJ squeezed my hand in reassurance and I squeezed it back gently.