Chapter 42

*** Jughead's POV ***

We were all waiting anxiously waiting for Dr. Masters. We were just told that something was going on with Brooke, and we were scared. Dr. Masters walked ij with two nurses behind him, he stood before our grieving group, a heavy burden in his eyes, as he prepared to explain the tragic turn of events that had taken Brooke from us.

"I wish there were better words," Dr. Masters began, his voice trembling with the gravity of the situation. "The surgery went as well as we could have hoped. We addressed the internal injuries caused by the first gunshot. However, it was during the surgery that we discovered another critical issue that the initial examination had missed. The second gunshot had caused significant damage to a major blood vessel. Despite our best efforts, we couldn't repair the damage in time. Brooke's body simply couldn't withstand the blood loss, and she passed away on the operating table."

The room fell silent as his words hung in the air. It was a cruel twist of fate, a second wound that had gone undetected, leading to her untimely demise. The shock and sorrow in the room deepened as we struggled to comprehend the chain of events that had taken our beloved Brooke from us.

"I want you all to know that we did everything in our power to save Brooke. The surgical team worked tirelessly, and we had hoped for a different outcome. But medicine, as much as we strive to conquer it, can sometimes be humbling in its limitations."Dr. Masters continued, his voice weighted with sadness.

Veronica's tears flowed freely, and the room was filled with the collective grief of Brooke's friends. Betty's heart felt heavy with the knowledge that Brooke's life had been cut short by the unforeseeable complications that had arisen from that second gunshot. She quickly pulled Veronica into a tight hug as they both began to cry.

"I know this is incredibly difficult," Dr. Masters said, his compassion evident in his eyes. "If there's anything I can do, or if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out."

As Dr. Masters left the room, the reality of Brooke's passing settled in. As I stood by Veronica and Betty, our collective grief seemed almost tangible. Veronica's tears flowed like a river, and Betty, usually so composed, had tears streaming down her face. We clung to one another, seeking some form of solace in the midst of the overwhelming sorrow that had descended upon us.

My eyes scanned the room, and I couldn't help but notice the tear-stained faces of our friends. Archie, usually the pillar of strength, looked lost and vulnerable. Kevin and Cheryl, who had their own unique connections with Brooke, were inconsolable. It was a stark reminder that Brooke had touched the lives of everyone in that room in some profound way.

The room felt like a sanctuary of shared grief, a place where we could all come together and mourn the loss of someone so vibrant and promising. Brooke's laughter, her kindness, her ability to make anyone feel safe and loved – all of it was gone, leaving us with nothing but memories and the ache of her absence.

As the reality of the situation sunk in, I knew that we would need each other more than ever in the coming days. The bonds that held us together were strong, and they would be our lifeline as we navigated the turbulent waters of grief, trying to make sense of a world that had been forever altered by the loss of our dear friend, Brooke.

The next couple of days we're hard for everyone. Hermione and Hiram prepared everything for Brooke's funeral. The gang and I helped out in any way that we could. We were there for Veronica, helping her through this. No one was doing well, at all. It was as if without Brooke we didn't know how to function.

Some of Brooke's friends from New York came down when they got the news. The same friends that helped her get little Odessa away from Dakota. Even his friends that were Brooke's friends too showed up as well. We all gathered around to plan how to make Dakota pay for what he has done.

AJ hasn't said a word to any of us, the only time she would was when she helped us with everything or when she was helping with Odessa. Anytime one of us would ask if she was okay and needed something she would shrug her shoulders and just walk away from us. AJ was falling apart faster than all of us by the second. AJ and Brooke had become friends fast when they had first met. AJ had just come back to town and Brooke had just moved to Riverdale and the two were always inseparable all the time when they were together all the time. If someone who didn't know them, would think the two girls were dating.

Months ago, AJ had confronted me on my own feelings for Brooke, whenever I flirted in front of Brooke when she was with Sweet Pea, I eventually told AJ that I had feelings for Brooke and then I knew by the jealous look on her face that AJ also had feelings towards her as well, but she never told anyone as she was scared at what would have been the outcome since Hiram and Veronica didn't like AJ much, and AJ never acted in her feelings.

Deep down, in AJ's mind, I could tell that the girl wished that she should have acted on them. When Brooke was alive, when we were all at the bar all hanging out, drinking, and having fun, she would always tell me that she wanted them to break up, so she and her could try dating, but she would have never want to ruin Brookes happiness with Sweet Pea.

AJ and Brooke were the partners in crime when they were together, Kevin had come up with a ship name for them, Bora. Whenever the two girls weren't with us we'd call them Bora. We were all currently at Pop's discussing the funeral for Brooke. "AJ?" I asked as I saw her looking at her phone, she was typing something down on it. "What are you doing?"

"What?" AJ asked completely confused at what I asked.

"I asked what are you doing?" I repeated. "Oh, nothing, just a friend." I knew the girl was lying.

"AJ." I said sternly, she finally looked at me. "Fine, I'm writing down how I'm feeling." AJ tells me. I nodded my head. "And how are you feeling?" I asked her, the sadness in her teal eyes was the answer. She had dark eye bags under her eyes, meaning she hadn't slept, and she seemed thinner too, so I knew she hadn't been eating; her hair was a mess. "Not good." AJ said after being silent for a moment. "None of us are good, especially Veronica." I told her. We looked at Veronica, who was crying on Betty's shoulder.

"You know Brooke wouldn't want you to be sad." I said to AJ, AJ nodded her head. "I know she wouldn't. But I am. I miss her. It feels so weird without her. I'm used to her good morning texts." AJ says to me and I nodded my head in agreement. "I'm used to her checking in too. It is weird without her." I said. "So, Brooke's funeral is going to be Saturday morning. If anyone wants to give a speech, you have our permission." Hiram announced, causing everyone to look at him.

Our parents looked at us and we looked at them. "We know you guys are heart broken over Brooke, but she wouldn't you guys to be sad. She would want you guys to be happy she's okay. She's not suffering anymore." Hermione told us. She also looked like she's been crying. "But we miss her. How can we not be sad?" Toni asked, sniffling. "Uh, what's gonna be the dress code?" Sadie asked. "We want to wear Brooke's favorite colors instead of black. She wouldn't want depressing colors." Veronica says to us.

"Got it." We all said.

Now, we are dreading for Saturday to come.

We weren't ready to say goodbye to our BeeBee.but she wouldn't you guys to be sad. She would want you guys to be happy she's okay. She's not suffering anymore." Hermione told us. She also looked like she's been crying. "But we miss her. How can we not be sad?" Toni asked, sniffling. "Uh, what's gonna be the dress code?" Sadie asked. "We want to wear Brooke's favorite colors instead of black. She wouldn't want depressing colors." Veronica says to us.

"Got it." We all said.

Now, we are dreading for Saturday to come.

We weren't ready to say goodbye to our BeeBee.