Chapter 40

I walked into the diner and looked around for Pop Tate. Ive been wanting to come talk to him about a job opportunity, but ever since I got to this town I havent had time. I scanned my eyes around the diner looking for Pop Tate. 

He was attending a customer before he noticed me. I gave him a small smile. He grabbed that customers order before walking over to me. Miss. Brooke, did you have an order? Pop Tate asked. I shook my head no. No, I actually came to talk to you, but only if you have the time, sir. I reply. 

I always have time for my best customer. Take a seat, Miss. Brooke. What can I do for you? Pop Tate says and asks as we took a seat at a booth. Um, I was wondering if you were hiring? I know I can depend on my parents, but Id really like to start saving for an apartment for when I graduate high school to have a space for me and my daughter. I asked him. Pop Tate smiled at me. 

"Yes, we are. We are always looking for people. Do you want an application? Pop Tate asked me. I nodded my head while pulling out my pen. Yes, sir. 

Okay, let me grab that for you then we can discuss when you can start. Pop Tate said to me before getting up and grabbing the application. He quickly grabs it then he hands it to me as a few other customers walked in. Let me go help these people then Ill be right back, okay, Miss. Brooke? I nodded my head at Pop Tate as he left me to fill this out and he went to attend to those customers. 

I started filling out the application. I really did want to start providing for myself and my daughter. Daddy has been taking care of us the whole time, but I want to start working and start saving for an apartment for us. I also want to help out with the bills at home, even though I know Daddy wont let me. 

My phone chimed, causing me to stop what Im doing and pull out my phone from my purse. I looked to see who texted and it was my boyfriend. We havent talked a lot since last night. Hes not too happy about me doing the Serpent dance. The text message says he wants to talk to me and I typed into my phone telling him that he can come find me at the diner and pressed send. 

I put my phone faced down and I went back to filling out the application. I let out a soft sigh, running my fingers through my hair as I looked over the paper. It took only about 5 minutes to fill out and I put it to the side for Pop Tate to get. He finished helping a customer then he walked back over to me. Thank you, Miss. Brooke. When can you start? Pop Tate questioned. I thought about it for a second. 

Can I start next Monday after school? I need to figure out some things first. I ask him and he smiled. Yes, thats fine. Just let me know when you have the chance. 

I salute him. Yes, sir. 

Pop Tate turned around then he left again. I leaned back in my seat as I looked out the window seeing my boyfriend parking his bike in the parking lot. I folded my arms over my chest as I watched him walk into the diner. It was evening, so it was nearing 6:00 pm. Its been getting busier by the hour since it was Friday night. 

He took a look around before he found me. He walked over to the booth I was sitting in. He sat down across from me. We sat in silence before one of us spoke. Are you really mad at me still for the Serpent dance? I ask, breaking the silence. Sweet Pea leans forward a bit more and so did I. No, well- yes, but Im more confused-mad. Sweet Pea answered. I furrowed my eyebrows together down to the middle of my forehead. 

Why are you mad at all? You shouldve seen it coming. I tell him. Because I dont understand why you want to be a Serpent. Sweet Pea says. I sighed. Because In case you forgot what AJ said a couple of months back, I need protection from Dakota. I told him. We can protect you without you being in the Serpents, baby girl. Sweet Pea reminds me. I bit the inside of my lower lip.

I know you can. I know. I-Its just I feel like Im a damsel in distress all the time. Everyone babies me and thinks Im not capable of doing anything on my own. I dont have a say in anything that I do. For the past two years now,  all Ive been doing in is just collecting evidence after evidence to take back to court to finally get rid of my psycho ex-boyfriend and put him behind bars for good. The Serpents are something that I can call my own, Sweet Pea. I explained to him. 

Sweet Pea grabs my hands and intertwines our fingers together. I just dont want to lose you over gang shit. 

I shook my head. And youre not going to. 

You dont know that. Sweet Pea tells me, my heart broke at the sound of his voice breaking. "Brooke, I love you and if anything ever happens to you I swear I'm-" Sweet Pea gets cut off by the sound of glass breaking and we both fell over. 

"Babe!" Sweet Pea yelled, rushing over to my side as I had landed on my back as screams were heard through the diner and there were gunshots. I looked over to see who it was and I could not believe my eyes. 

It was Dakota and he was pointing a gun at me. My eyes widened in fear as I saw he pointed the gun at Sweet Pea.  "BABE! GET DOWN!" I screamed while I got up from the floor and I tackled him to the ground as Dakota opened fire again, a bullet hitting my hip in the process. 

I held my hip as I crawled over to Sweet Pea while he held his head. Sweet Pea then looked at me and there was fear in his eyes when he saw I had been shot. "Kids, hide behind the counter!" Pop Tate demandes. He guided us to the counter. "Babe, you're bleeding a lot!" Sweet Pea panicked, staying by my side as I leaned back against the wall.

"Brookie! Where are you?" I heard Dakota ask somewhere in the diner as he fired his gun again. "Sweet Pea, get Miss. Brooke out of here. I'll distract him." Pop Tate told us. "No, P-Pop-" I went to argue, but Pop Tate gave me a worried look. "Miss. Brooke, you need to go, now!" Pop Tate ordered and I took Sweet Pea's arm and we started to crawl our way to the back door while Pop Tate started to distract Dakota. 

I glanced back looking at Pop Tate, I was worried and scared for him and for everyone else in the diner. We managed to escape out the back door without getting noticed and we made a run for it.