Chapter Twenty-Two

"Thank you all for attending! As usual, we are going to start off with the smaller bids. Then we'll take a break before getting to the more valuable items." The man announced.

    "You know if there is something you want, let me know." Aaron winked at me.

    "Don't you get a list of everything beforehand?" I asked, I knew my parents attend auctions, they always got a roster of the items.

    "Something like that. Sometimes I like to be surprised." He told me. Yeah right, there was something here he was after.

    Most of the items I never cared for, unless I was involved with criminal stuff. Until I saw a bundle of burner phones. I know Aaron would never let me have one, maybe I could snatch one?

    After the burner phones got sold, it was break time. That's when the food is served. A waitress set down two plates of food for me and Aaron. Steak, potatoes, with carrot and peas.

    Break time might be the best to sneak around, there's a lot of people here after all.

    "I have to go to the bathroom." I told Aaron, backing my chair out. He slapped his hand on mine.

        "You can't go by yourself, Sunshine."

    "Why? I'm not 5, I'm perfectly capable." I argued, but seeing how stubborn he can be, I know it's useless.

    "Dani, come here." Aaron waved his hand, beckoning a girl over.

    "Yes, Mr. Duckling." She smiled sweetly at him.

    "Please take my Sunshine here to the restroom?" He smiled back. She nodded, finally acknowledging me.

        "Right this way!"

    "Ughh, you're unbelievable." Standing up, I followed the tall girl. He's smart tho, having someone watch me. I was half tempted to slip out of here.

    I'm back to my original plan, kinda. I need to get a phone to talk to Jack.

    "Here it is, let me know if you need anything. Seriously, I keep pads and tampons in my little apron." Dani smiled at me, tapping her black waist apron.

    "Thanks, I'll be quick."

    Dani didn't leave her spot, she literally was in the same position when I came back out.

        "All good?" She started to walk, but I stopped her.

    "I, um. Listen, this is weird, but do you have a phone? I need to make a little call to someone important."

    "Oh? Did you forget yours?" Dani smiled at me, but crossed her arms.

    "Something like that, I promise it'll be quick." I tried smiling back, but the way she frowned made me feel uneasy.

    "Cute thing, you're a terrible liar."

    Well fuck.

    "It's really important, Aaron won't let me use his phone." I told her.

    "Aaron? You know his real name? Interesting." She tapped her chin.

    "Please, Dani. I'll do anything." I hate begging, it's embarrassing.

    "Oh, anything?" That caught her attention. I think I may have fucked up saying that.

        "Reasonably, anything." I glanced around, praying Aaron isn't eavesdropping.

    "Alright, I'll help you. In an exchange for something of course." She started to talk in a lower voice, getting closer to me. Oh boy, I may have really fucked up.

    XXXXX

    "Now, on to the big items!" The man announced the minute break ended. Aaron stayed the same, not excited or disappointed. There's no way he's not here for something.

    The first item was tickets to some big show. Then it was a bundle of drugs.

    Then it was something that made Aaron sit up.

    "Our next item, a list of the real identities in witness protection. Only from the state of Nevada, only dating back a decade."

"How the fuck do you even get that?" I asked.

"Knowing people, Sunshine." Aaron launched his paddle in

the air. Strangely, not many bid against Aaron. Makes me wonder more about his reputation. Were people that scared of him?

"SOLD! To Mr. Duckling." The man announced, making me bust out laughing.

"Seriously, why pick that name?" I asked Aaron finally.

"Aw, wanna know the lore, Sunshine? I can tell you all about it at

home." So he definitely doesn't want other people knowing. 

    I thought Aaron said these auctions were more interesting, but so far there hasn't been much.

    Until the last item was up.

    A young kid stood on the stage, scared shitless.

    "The son of the Burdogos family!"

    "Whose that?" I whispered to Aaron.

        "Burdogos family owns a lot of property. Including a bank that most criminals use." He explained. 

    Several pads went up. Then it all happened so fast.

    "You prick!" A man shouted, standing up. Aaron's hands suddenly went around me. Another person stood up, shouting back. The man announcing everything simply sighed, taking a seat.

    "You do this every year! Stop stealing my bids!" A guy yelled. Someone then threw a plate?!

    "The fuck?!" Aaron squeezed me, like he was trying to shield me.

    "Told you, things can get very entertaining." Aaron whispered in my ear.

        "My gosh, it's like bingo." I noticed the poor kid on stage looked even more terrified.

    "Who's gonna buy him?"

    "Most likely Ogie Boogie there. Don't worry, Sunshine. He'll most likely get sold back to his family by ransom." Aaron tried to assure me. The announcer guy finally picked a paddle.

    "SOLD. To Crowly." A tall man wearing a puffy yellow jacket cheered.

    "Who the hell came up with these names?" Aaron chuckled behind me, still holding me. He must really not want anything near me, people were calming down now that the kid got sold.

    After the auction was finally over, I noticed Dani giving me a nod. Right, our deal, if you could call it that. 

    I felt the old flip phone in my bra. Really praying Aaron never finds it.

    "Take this, make sure to keep it out of sight." Dani shoved the phone in my hand.

        "But, what do you want from me? You didn't say."

    "Silly girl, I want to kill Aaron." Dani wouldn't look at me, just closed my fingers over the phone.

    "Text you tonight."