Chapter Fifty-Four

It's funny, I'm clearly more of an introvert. I hate people, I hate being social.

    You know what I also hate? Being isolated inside. I like being able to do things, rather than sitting in the dark.

    The Needles are very nice, It's still bizarre how I got here.

    I've thought about how I would explain this to mom and dad. How would I even tell Jack or Aaron?

    "Yeah so I killed a guy, and as it turns out he was an archenemy on his way to hurt a child. So now I'm in a gang."

    Fuck I should rehearse it.

    "Are you doing alright, little needle?" Hugo stepped into the bar, joining me in a booth.

    "Just watching TV." I pointed to the small TV playing at the bar. They gave me the remote so I could watch what I wanted.

    "I asked if you are alright, not what you are doing." Hugo reached forward, snatching an onion ring from the basket Lauren gave me earlier.

    I can smell his cologne, did he bathe in it or something?

        "Who says I'm not fine?" I tried to dodge the question. They don't need to know anything about me. Hugo ate the ring, lifting a hand up signaling for me to wait. He cleaned his hands with napkins before getting his phone out.

    "Because," Hugo cleared his throat, "Macy seems distant, something is definitely bothering her. Ask her whatever she wants she can have, and take Silvanto with. Do as I say you little bitch, I won't have this argument right now." Hugo read off in his best voice impression of Glen.

    I tilted my head, generally confused.

    "He does the speech to text a lot. Claims it saves time even when it catches another conversation." Hugo explained, putting his phone away.

    "It's just, I know I can't really have a life anymore. I know I'm safe here, but it's no different than everywhere else. I'm a prisoner, a fugitive." I admitted to him, still watching the TV. I feel so small here, no power.

    "What do you want to do, Macy?" Hugo asked, looking at me, not even moving. I sighed, looking at my fingers instead now.

        "What am I allowed to do?" I asked, afraid to look at him.

    "Try me, what do you think I'll say no to?" I looked up, seeing him smile at me.

    He has a point.

    "But, before we go anywhere, there's something we wanted to ask you." Hugo sat up, beckoning over Scruffy beard. Is he Silvanto? Makes sense, he looks like a Silvanto with the gray scruffy beard and brown speckled gray hair.

    "There's the littlest needle." He smiled at me, sitting across from me and Hugo.

    "This is Silvanto, dad's right hand man basically." Hugo introduced, stealing another onion ring. I waited for them to talk, not sure what's going on. I couldn't be in any trouble, did they find Aaron or Jack?

    Fuck I don't even know what I want to do if they actually bring them here.

    "You are more than welcome to keep staying at dad's house, but he wants to make sure you know you don't have to stay at his house." Hugo started to explain. Please get to the point already.

    "Silvanto here, is more than willing to take you in." Hugo smiled.

    "What?" I looked between them, why is Glen so nervous with me? It's like he's terrified to upset me.

    "Me and my wife, we've been wanting kids for a while." Silvanto began to tell me.

        "I'm sorry, I'm here because I murdered a guy." I sat up, leaning forward.

    "You think we haven't killed people? My wife Lauren?" Silvanto jabbed a thumb over at Lauren serving drinks. "She likes ya." Silvanto whispered to me.

    This is crazy. I've already bruised my arm from pinching it so much.

    "Are you alright?" Hugo nudged my shoulder.

    "Why are you all nice to me? I'm evil." I tried to tell them, annoyed they dismissed me with a hand wave.

        "We can tell, you're a good kid. Just in a pickle." Silvanto made a sheepish smile at me, trying to assure me.

    "I don't know, ok?!" I tried to shove Hugo out of the booth, I just wanna nap.

    Hugo sat like a rock, refusing to move.

    "What's the matter, Macy?" Silvanto asked me this time. Fuck, is it really that noticeable?! I slumped back down,

    "I'm always gonna be isolated."

    "We can take you out, where would you like to go?" Silvanto offered this time. They all think alike. Fine, I'll think about it. What have I been wanting to do?