Chapter Thirty-Three

Jack had run down the hall, coming back with one of my old backpacks, but more packed.

    Aaron took it, pushing me to the door.

    "Let's get outta here, before papa bear wakes up." He made a 'sheesh' face at my unconscious dad.

    "Jack," I stopped him, turning to my brother.

    "Why?" Was all I could ask. It doesn't take a genius to see he told Aaron where to find me. He betrayed our father and me.

        "Hey I tried to tell dad not to take you here. I promised you I will never let you remember." He pointed at me.

    "About Aunt Sherry?" I asked, even saying the name tasted nasty. Jack froze, and I could see probably for the first time, he's petrified. He gave Aaron a glare,

        "She had some photos. Probably snagged them before we cleaned it out." Aaron explained. I turned to Aaron, even more confused.

    "Cleaned out?" Jack sighed loudly, like he was mad at Aaron for slipping up.

    "Sorry you woke up without me. Jack and I took everything from the attic to burn in the woods." Aaron told me. Wow, it's that easy to tell me the truth. I looked back at Jack, waiting for him to answer.

    "Forgot about it, Macy. Trust me it's what's best for you."

    "It's bad enough you killed Cal, bad enough you tricked me into murder. But you can't hide this from me anymore." I gestured around.

        "What happened here?" I asked again. Jack shook his head, looking only at Aaron,

    "Get her out of here. Now. I'll deal with dad." Aaron nodded, grabbing my arm.

    "You fucking coward!!" I screamed at Jack. He ignored me, staring down at dad. I yanked my arm away, going to the car willingly. I don't wanna be around Jack anyway.

    Aaron hopped in, quickly turning the car on.

    "Why'd he help you find me?" I asked him. I swear, he seems to be the only one telling me the truth. How sad.

    "Jack told me, he was desperate. He said he doesn't care what it takes, as long as you're never near this lake house." Aaron turned the car around, driving away.

    "Then where are we going?" I feel so exhausted, and I just woke up.

    "Somewhere safe, Sunshine. Go ahead and get some rest." He smiled at me. For a moment, I forgot how much of a sociopath he is.

    He carved into me.

    He kidnapped me, twice.

    I have no reason to ever trust him.

    Why do I only wanna be around him right now?

    Is it because he helped me last night? He didn't have to do that, I guess.

    Aaron hummed with the radio.

    I truly lost my head if I honestly think he's not that bad.

    Course I thought Jack would never be an enemy before.

    I hope dad kicks his ass.

XXXX

    Aaron drove back to him and Ethan's house. Once he closed the garage doors, he hopped out. I stayed put for a moment.

    How could Jack do this? I thought he was on my side.

    "Macy?" Aaron opened the door, waiting for me to get out of the car.

    "How'd you get into my room? I didn't hear anything." I suddenly remembered. Aaron's mouth twitched, wanting to smile.

    "I went through the window. I think you were too busy panicking to hear me run up to you." He explained.

        "Why did you and Jack clear out the attic then?" I asked.

    "I don't know, Jack made me help him. He said everything had to be burned so that you wouldn't later look at it."

    Jack really knows me. I would have definitely gone back and searched that entire attic.

    "Come on, this is a pit stop. I just need to grab some things." Aaron smiled at me, waved at me to get out. I hopped out, letting him shut the door.

    "Where are we going?" I followed him inside, immediately looking around for Ethan.

    "Somewhere safe-" Aaron stopped. I looked at him, seeing him glaring at his phone.

        "Mother, fucker."

    Now that's the tone that scares me. How low and quiet he spoke, whoever just pissed him off, I feel sorry for them.

    "Change of plans, we're gonna be traveling farther." Aaron stormed into his room. I followed, curious now.

    "Ok, and where to?" I asked again. Aaron chuckled, nearly slamming his phone on the nightstand.

    "Macy, I need a few minutes. Go wait somewhere." He looked at me, dead serious. He is really pissed. He even called me by my name.

    My guess is family. Family always knows how to push your buttons.

    I went to Ethan's room. He sat at his desk, wearing headphones. I stalked up, peaking over his shoulder. He was working on some math problems?

    Ethan bopped his head, completely oblivious that I'm here.