Chapter Fifty-Nine

Jack slid the VHS tape he took from the desk into the VHS player we had in our playroom.

    He sat next to me on the floor, in front of a small TV with stickers all over. There was static, before a video played.

July 12, 1998

We were only 6 years old.

    The screen showed two little kids playing in our lake house room. Me and Jack's baby faces looked at the camera as they entered the room.

    "There you two are, don't you wanna play outside instead?" Mom's voice spoke, holding the camera. Jack grabbed my little hand, pulling to run out of the room.

    "No running!!" Mom yelled.

    "Mona," Rio popped out the corner, holding a beer. "Who's running to the store?"

    "I don't know yet, I'm trying to decide on dinner." Mom talked to Rio, walking with the camera until it smacked a corner. The camera laid on the side, recording sideways.

    "Shoot, how do you stop this?" Mom sighed, always has and will be frustrated with cameras.

    "Hit the red dot." Rio chimed it. The video stopped, showing a black screen before resuming.

    Same date, but someone was carrying it with it pointed at their feet. They walked, until lifting it up.

    Aunt Sherry. Her face is now even more clear and moving. Her 90s blonde blowout, the colorful clothes. She looks like a nice woman, if not for her sick mind.

    "Hey, Mona!" Sherry smiled, curving an arm behind her.

    "Hi, what are you up to? Everyone is outside." Mom told her. Sherry chuckled,

        "Yeah, Macy needed help with something. I can't say no to my beautiful niece!" Sherry lied.

    "Where is she?" Mom sounded concerned, glancing with the camera to the room she had just exited. It was me and Jack's bedroom at the lake house.

    "Don't worry, Mona. She's alright." Sherry waved her hand, quickly rushing away. Mom looked at the door again, till she got jerked to turn around. Showing baby face Jack.

    "I need to tell you something mom." He looked at her eyes, not even acknowledging the camera.

        "Oh, ok. Hang on." Mom lifted the camera, and the video stopped.

    It resumed, showing the camera angle peeking through a doorway.

    Mom, dad, and Rio stood close in a heated argument.

    "I can't stand the fact she's been around them so much." Mom spat.

    "Listen! She'll be back from the store soon, let's make a plan." Dad spoke.

        "Plan?" Mom asked, already seeing it on her face she knows the answer.

    "Yes, plan. I'm killing that cunt tonight." Dad's tone scared me, they were serious.

    "I don't want to cause a scene for our children! They've suffered enough." Mom argued.

    "Who says they would be involved? Someone is driving them home the second that bitch gets back." Dad told them.

    "Sherry would expect something. We can't let her be suspicious." Rio mentioned.

    "I want to kill her too, but let's think about our kids." Mom brought up again.

    "Maybe that's the key." Rio suggested. Dad snatched Rio's shirt, shoving him against a wall just out of view.

    "You really believe that's a good idea?" Dad nearly growled, walking back into view.

    "Look at what she was doing to them?! To my fucking kids!" Dad held up a photo, most likely the evidence Jack showed them.

    The camera got picked back up, panning to little feet walking away. The adults arguing faded. The camera walked into a room, lifting enough to recognize our bedroom wallpaper. Yellow daisies.

    I laid in bed, deep in sleep. The video shut off again.

    Resuming also, showing a wide angle of the dark scary lake. Even seeing it on video makes my stomach turn. Judging from the angle, the camera had to have been on the far side porch, right by the black lake.

    The sun was setting, giving the sky a beautiful glow. There was faint talking, then a type of engine starting.

    A speedboat rode out to the water. Sherry driving, with me and Jack behind her.

    "There's no way I'd set foot on that." I pointed out, not looking away from the screen.

    "You weren't that scared then, not when big brother Jack will protect you." He answered while also staring at only the screen.

    The speedboat rode out to the middle of the lake, doing a u turn. It's harder to see, the quality makes it too blurry to see us. Once the boat got closer and more into view, Jack was the one to stand and tug on her. Sherry stopped the boat.

    I could see little me twiddle with my hands, clearly scared. Jack talked to Sherry, but the distance was too great to hear anything.

    "I confronted her." Jack explained.

    Sherry waved her hands at him, clearly denying it. He looked at baby me, and I nodded. I stood up, not being noticed since I was behind Sherry as she argued with Jack.

    I kneed down by the back of the boat. The engine was still on, you could see the blades twirling the water around as we remained idle.

    Jack shoved Sherry back, and I pushed her legs. She backflipped off the boat.