Chapter Thirty

Jack threw a massive fit. As I packed, he complained the whole time. Then he kept moving my bags around so we'd waste time looking for them. Even when he was supposed to be watching Reid, he found many ways to annoy me. His favorite is body blocking, then shoving me out of the way.

As dad drove to the lake cabin, I felt myself getting more nervous. Aaron will never find me now, but what happened that was so bad? I tried asking mom, she avoided the question till I gave up.

"There it is." Dad spoke up. I sat up seeing the curved road going up to the lake house. The minute I spotted the large lake, I felt faint. I forgot how big it is. So much water.

"Remember, you are not allowed to step outside." Dad told me again. He's repeated the rules so many times now.

No going outside

No talking to anyone

No loud noises

Never go anywhere without telling him.

"Head inside, I got your bags." Dad smiled at me. Rolling my eyes, I got out, quickly running inside.

It looks exactly how I remembered when I was 13, except for the dust. All basic furniture and decorating. I think the cabin belongs to one of my uncles. I can't remember, I do know whoever it is has bad taste.

Like who thought it was a good idea to hang up deer photos?

"Macy, I want you to think about what you want for food." Dad came in holding my bags.

"Are you going out?" I led dad down where the spare room was.

    "Just to grab groceries." Dad set my bags on the floor.

"Is there even internet here?" I whined, there was literally nothing to do here. No books, no toys, nothing!

"Relax, I'm making a second trip back home anyway to grab the old dvd player. You don't need the internet anyway." Dad went over to the window, giving it a tug.

"I already saw the comments." Dad flinched, avoiding eye contact as he turned to the door.

    "I'm not gonna let anything happen to you. Get some rest." He tried giving me a smile, but quickly ran from me down the hall.

I really hate when everyone treats me like a child, never talking to me. Even after Reid was born, everyone kept shutting me out.

Maybe Jack will grow up and talk to me if he visits.

XXXXX

As dad set up everything, I looked around where he said I was allowed to. Apparently there's a tiny attic that I'm not allowed in. Same goes for the cellar, again I didn't know there was one.

They treat this lake house like the plague, what happened?

I found me and Jack's old room from when we were younger. It was cleaned out, nothing but two small beds.

I want to explore outside, but dad's right. It's safer inside.

"I told Jack he can come visit tomorrow. Kid needs to calm down." Dad told me.

    "Why does he hate it here so much? What the hell happened?" I asked him, knowing he's not gonna answer me. Had to give it a shot.

"Don't think about it. Now what do you want to eat?" Dad turned away from me, going through the sacks of groceries. 

"They will never tell you. You have to find out for yourself." Darkness loomed over by dad, just an inch away. That sounds like a bad idea, what if I can't handle it?

"It's your right!! Something bad happened, something bad happened to you." Darkness got loud, why should I care? Jack said it's a miracle I forgot, maybe best to keep it like that.

"COWARD!"

Rude.

I left dad in the kitchen, going to my temporary room. I don't have much of an appetite right now. I just wanna sleep.

"Do you really wanna be the idiot that doesn't know? Everyone in the family knows. They'll probably even tell Reid!"

I could definitely see that. They shut me out of everything important.

"You have to find out. You have to investigate yourself."

Fine, for fucks sake I'll snoop around. It should be fairly easy with just dad watching me.

Hopefully I can handle it.