Chapter 81

GAHhhDHH GAHKKD still not editing live laugh love 

Third person pov

Turns out Trexx can, in fact, eat a tailed beast. Or rather, he can eat the sand construct said tailed beast is manifesting out into the world as. The actual One Tails is luckily still in Gaara. Shikamaru is counting their blessings, as few and far between as they do seem to be-- he would hate to see what would happen if Trexx regurgitated a bijuu in the middle of dinner at the Nara compound later.

He's not sure how Trexx does it. Shikamaru doesn't have a good idea of how Arron's kekkai genkai works in general, actually. Her shadows are different than the ones the Nara clan wields, holding a level of sentience Shikamaru hadn't thought possible to imbue into something as intangible as darkness.

Arron has the ability to gives shadows shape and life. Or maybe they aren't shadows at all? It's too troublesome to think too hard about, honestly. The point is: Trexx takes about five minutes to choke the One Tails down like he's nothing more than a midday chicken wrap after a whole four hours of hard labor out in the sun. 

If you asked Shikamaru to recount the event, he'd be unable to put exactly into words what just happened. He's pretty sure it was traumatizing enough that part of his brain is now blocking it out. For as big as Trexx was able to grow, there's no way the One Tails should've realistically been able to fit. And yet...

Well. The Ichibi never stood a chance.

"I am tired." Arron announces as Trexx let's out a burp so loud it shakes the very ground beneath their feet, causing the Earth to rumble and the trees to shake. The girl turns to look at him, blinking as leaves fall around them. "We nap now, yes?"

Shikamaru stares at her, squinting. Looks at Trexx, who's beginning to shrink. He shrugs. What kind of Nara would he be if he turned this down?

"Yeah. Yeah, a nap sounds great." He sighs, feeling strangely like he's aged several years in the past ten minute span. "The village is sort of in shambles right now, though. It's kind of a drag, but I think we've done our part."

Stopping an entire tailed beast from rampaging definitely had to count for something, even if Shikamaru had done nothing but stand here and witness the horrors. And if it's not enough, Shikamaru can say fully, genuinely, that he truly does not give a shit. 

They just brushed shoulders with death. It was terrifying. He's never had an adrenaline rush that horrifically all-consuming before. Thank you, goodbye, he's done now.

Arron hums in assent, nodding and accepting his words with ease. She's never been one to question him before and she's definitely not going to eyeball his logic now. Shikamaru offers a hand, smiling a little when she takes it.

There's a lot to worry about. Shikamaru knows his teammates are probably fine. He's got no idea what's going on with the Hokage, but you know, what's he supposed to do about that anyway? The entire chunin exams have been wrecked. It's not his business anymore.

Getting Arron out of the line of fire seems more pertinent than anything. She's done well under the stress and so has Trexx, but he knows her, and he can see the way her eyes dart around uncertainly as she threads her fingers through his and squeezes.

Shikamaru let out a slow breath of air, shaking his head. He scanned the clearing, doing a headcount of everyone who'd been involved. Naruto was there and looking relatively unharmed. Sakura seemed fine. Sasuke was doing... whatever the hell Sasuke usually did. Brooding and being depressed, probably.

His eyes slid over the the shivering Sand Siblings. Puppet boy looked like he'd looked death in the eyes and lived, which yeah-- that was fair. After seeing Trexx literally consume the entire One Tails after said One Tails almost killed them all, Shikamaru can get why he might be shaken.