Chapter 40

Third person pov

The next day was the same as the last, except this time they all went to their respective homes for lunch. Arron seemed to like this better, and was less stressed when they arrived home. Although, she did do the same thing she'd done before. She'd held his hands, sat on his lap and caressed his cheek. And then she'd simply told him she loved him. Shikamaru had no qualms with this.

The following days were all similar to this, save for a tense encounter Arron had with Shikaku in the hallway while on the way back to the bathroom. The girl looked absolutely mortified. Shikaku didn't know what to do, and that certainly hadn't changed when she started screaming. All he'd done was move, but she'd broken down into a fit of sobs and wails that sent Shikamaru rocketing through the doorway. Hell, Trexx had taken the frame right out of the wall in his haste.

Other than that, the week went smoothly. Shikamaru could very safely say that Arron was slightly more comfortable around Ino, although not much progress was made with Asuma. Shikamaru was still satisfied, though. Arron most definitely needed a female friend on her side. There were just some things Shikamaru couldn't understand about women, and that would eventually become a problem.

"Arron, I'm going to a hot spring with the rest of the team. You're welcome to come, but you'll have to go with Ino when we get there. It's a split bath, and even so, we don't have a swimsuit for you." Shikamaru told her. Arron stared up at him. The Nara pressed his lips together firmly at the expression that twisted its way onto her face. Uh oh.

She'd been to a hot spring before. It had been a mixed gender one, and the experience there... No, it hadn't been fun. She shivered at the memory as it tore its way to the front of her mind. It warned her, seeming to flash before her every time she blinked. Shikamaru seemed to notice the color seep out of her skin. "You don't have to, Arron. I can even stay here with you if you like."

That's the one, singular thing that Arron did not want. She already knew just how much Shikamaru did for her. How often he stayed at home just so she could feel safe. Knowing how much he cared almost made it seem worse in a way. She felt like nothing but a burden. A broken, shattered thing that couldn't be put back together. A thing that Shikamaru was currently stuck with. She didn't want to stop him from having fun. Besides, she... She needed to get out there more. Shikamaru had said so. If she didn't listen to him, he might leave.

".... I'll go." Arron whispered, looking up at Shikamaru with clear nervousness swimming in her dark eyes.

"Are you sure?" The Nara had honestly expected her to decline. If she had, he would have probably stayed behind with her anyway. Her wanting to go hadn't been expected at all. "Don't push yourself."

Arron shivered slightly. "I'll go." She repeated quietly. Shikamaru frowned, but nodded anyway. He suddenly felt very uneasy about this whole thing. Arron was clearly terrified. Her pupils had turned to pin pricks, and shivers wracked her body. Even without those signs, her skin had gone pale as paper. It didn't sit right with Shikamaru. Arron had done so well this week, though, he couldn't really say no.

They left the house after Arron got her shoes on. Despite the fact that they were going to a hot spring, Arron had piled on the layers as though they were stepping out and into a blizzard. It wasn't even cold out. Not even slightly. And yet still, without hesitation, Arron had pulled on a sweater over her shirt, a hoodie over that and then a jacket to top it all off. The girl was going to die from heat stroke at this rate.

"Are you sure you're okay like that?" Shikamaru asked as they walked down the street. "You've got to be burning up in there."

Arron didn't respond. She, instead, continued to troop after Shikamaru. The Nara sighed. He shouldn't have even brought it up. He didn't know she'd be so bold and agree to go. He supposed she was taking his advice and stepping out of her comfort zone. Shikamaru had to be proud of her for that. Inoichi certainly would be.

"Arron, you came!" Ino squealed upon seeing her, suddenly very glad she hadn't tried to invite another friend to accompany her. The dark-haired girl flinched. "I thought I'd have to go in alone! Have you ever been to one of these before?"

Arron froze in response to the question. Her mind reeled. She'd been to one, but not for... Fun, or anything like that. She shook her head, decidedly. She didn't want them asking questions she did not wish to answer. Ones that would surely send her spiralling into a panic she'd be unable to pull herself out of. She needed today to be a success. Then, Shikamaru would be happier.

Arron didn't really get to say goodbye to Shikamaru before she was gently ushered by into into the girls side of the hot spring. Ino, of course, did not dare to touch Arron. She knew the girl would not like that. Instead she waved her along and urged her verbally, assuring her that she'd be with her the whole way. This was exciting, after all! Arron's first time in a hot spring. And probably her first time being away from Shikamaru while outside the Nara residence!

Ino took care of it all, signing them in and getting their towels. This spring was relatively small, so there probably wouldn't be as many people.

"They'll be right on the other side of that fence." Ino said as they entered the changing area, with the showers and cubbies to place their clothing. It opened into the spring, which was empty just as Ino and Arron had both hoped. Arron felt somewhat relieved. Somewhat.

"So, let's get undressed and dive in!"