Chapter 18

Third person pov

"Has she come out at all?" Shikamaru asked as he entered the house. It was 3:13, meaning he'd gotten home just on time. Part of him hoped maybe Arron had gotten bored and left the closet to explore, or ask for food, but that didn't appear to be the case by the way his mother's face dropped. She let out a sigh.

"I brought her lunch and left it outside, but she won't touch it, and I'm not going to try to open that door. I don't want to scare her anymore than I already have." Yoshino sighed, shaking her head slightly. Shikamaru let out a similar sigh, reaching up to massage his temples. Choji hadn't been shy about asking why he couldn't hang out, and of course the Nara had told his best friend about Arron. That only made Choji want to come and meet her. It had taken all lunch to explain to him why he couldn't before he understood...

"I'll go back there." He stretched, walking past his mother who solemnly nodded. Shikamaru wondered how she'd managed to stay in there all day without getting bored. Shikamaru's school day was a full seven hours long! He supposed she could have slept. That's probably what he would have done... but Arron wasn't him, and she wasn't a lazy person. She was someone who was constantly on edge.

"Oh, Shikamaru!" Yoshino called before he could disappear down the hall. "A doctor is coming by later, so we're going to need your help, alright?" 

"Hai." Shikamaru nodded before turning and trudging down the hall, his mind whirling. How were they planning on getting Arron to cooperate at all? Shikamaru wasn't sure how much he could help in that department. She trusted him to an extent, but he didn't want to risk stretching that. He supposed they'd have to play it by ear. Anything she didn't want, they just wouldn't do. That would work, right?

"Arron, I'm back." Shikamaru entered his bedroom, walking over to the closet. "A doctor is going to come by later. Don't worry, I'll be there, and we don't have to do anything you don't want t-"

The door flew open, and Arron had her arms around him in seconds. Her breathing was sped up, and her cheeks were wet with tears. Shikamaru froze at the sight, concern welling up inside of him as she clutched onto him like he would disappear. "Arron, are you alright? Did something happen?" The Nara hesitantly hugged her back, and immediately she seemed to relax. She looked up at him.

"Too long." She muttered, frowning at him.

"I said I'd be back and one-three-five." He frowned a little, turning to look at the digital clock. It hadn't changed, the number changing to 3:16. He looked down at Arron. She stared back up at him with large, scared, sad eyes that made his heart clench. She looked so alone. He didn't like it. He considered Arron a friend, now. He didn't want any of his friends to feel like that.

"Too long." She mumbled, burying her face in his chest. He wrapped his arms around her softly, sighing a little. He didn't want her getting upset while he was gone, but he couldn't just stop going to school, as wonderful as that would be. The Nara thought about it more. There had to be a way to communicate with her while he was gone over that long a distance. It's not that the academy was far, but it was far enough...

"I've got it." He muttered, pulling away. Arron sniffled, wiping her eyes. "Stay here for just a second. I'll be back."

She followed him instead of staying put, which was fine. She was probably a little tired of being cooped up in his room anyway. "I have an idea. You can't come with me, but I think we'll be able to talk." Shikamaru thought of the old walkie-talkies  in the kitchen that his father never touched anymore. This could not only connect them so Arron didn't feel so alone and scared, but it could help her learn to talk, and maybe she could talk to Choji a bit. That way she wouldn't have to see him and be scared! It would all just be voices.

Arron followed after Shikamaru, her hands holding the back of his shirt in a tight grip. The Nara didn't mind, walking right past his mother who sat on the couch. Arron looked away as they passed her, and she simply offered them a hesitant smile as they passed, twitching a bit as she resisted the urge to stand up.

"They're in here somewhere." Shikamaru muttered as he began to open drawer after drawer. Arron lightly peeked past him as he pulled each drawer open, her eyes scanning each one before he closed them again. He moved to the other side of the kitchen, pulling open yet another drawer. She looked down as he dug around in it. Her feet were so small compared to his. She wondered if one day she would have shoes, and if she could go everywhere with Shikamaru.

"Here!" Shikamaru grinned, turning around. Arron let go of him briefly, her hands grasping the front of his shirt. He didn't seem to care, instead holding up what he'd been searching for, "These are walkie-talkies. Have you ever heard of them?"

Arron shook her head, and Shikamaru switched them on. "They're full. Good." He grinned down at her, and Arron almost smiled, staring up at him and his... walkie-talkies curiously. "These will let us talk to each other while I'm gone. So you can talk to me at school, and I can talk to you. It's not the same as me being with you, but it's the best we have."

Arron blinked, seeming to brighten. "Here, take this one. I'm gonna go stand over there, okay?" Shikamaru handed her one. Reluctantly, she let go of him, her eyes never leaving him as he rushed over to the corner of the kitchen. "Listen, if I'm pressing the button still, I won't have to be able to hear yo. So we have to take turns. Say the word "over" so I know when you're done talking, okay?" He said. She nodded hesitantly.

She watched as he pressed the button on the side, bringing the walkie-talkie up to his mouth. "Arron?" She couldn't hear his whisper come from him, but crackly, it came through the black box in her hand. Her eyes widened in surprise, and she stared at the walkie-talkie in awe. "Looks like it works, over."

Shikamaru watched as she brought it up to her mouth, pressing the button. She seemed to hesitate, thinking of something to say. Shikamaru waited patiently, watching as her nose crinkled with thought. She opened her mouth, and Shikamaru heard her voice come through the walkie-talkie, so quiet he could barely hear. "...Boop... over." She whispered.

Shikamaru laughed as she released the button, and he walked back over. "So you have a sense of humor then." He grinned at her, ruffling her hair. She stared up at him with large eyes, and although she didn't smile, he could see how amused she was. He snorted a little.

"Arron, Shikamaru, the doctor is here!"