Chapter 25

Third person pov

Not long after Arron said that, about Trexx that is, did a crashing sound catch their attention. At first, they mistook it for thunder. At least, they did until their wall began to crack. The floor shook slightly, and Shikamaru grabbed Arron out of reflex, pulling her back and behind him in case of danger. Shikaku was out of his seat in a second, and Yoshino scooted back as the cracks grew larger and larger.

"What the hell?" Shikaku hissed. Yoshino didn't even scold him for using course language, her eyes wide as she watched a hole form in her kitchen wall. Her kitchen wall that she had just repainted next month. She was going to beat the hell out of whatever the hell this thing was with a wooden spoon, and nobody was going to stop her.

Through the hole, all they could see was black. Pitch black. It diminished Shikaku's theory that somehow a rhino had spawned outside their home and had become angry with the color it happened to be. He glanced at his son. Arron peeked around the boy, eyes swimming with something that seemed like excitement. 

"Arron?" The thing rumbled, it's voice deep and inhuman. A small face appeared in the hole, beady white eyes staring through the jagged opening. Arron lurching forward as the creature laid eyes on her, rushing over. Shadows seemed to chase after the girl, as though seeking refuge with her. Shikaku lowered his kunai slightly.

The black substance began to seep through the hole, forming into a large creature that had to hunch over to avoid hitting it's head on the ceiling. It was a massive shadow, essentially. With horns, and long limbs and a small face. It didn't really have a neck. Shikaku and Shikamaru both took a step back as Arron wrapped her arms around it, sobbing into it. "Trexx." She wailed. The creature patted her back with one of it's large hands.

"That's Trexx?" Shikaku breathed, his eyes wide. He turned to Shikamaru as though the boy might have answers, but the young Nara could only shrug helplessly. He had no idea Trexx was some huge ass shadow monster. It would explain how she'd escaped, though. He assumed Trexx could deal some major damage, and he could most definitely cause a distraction large enough to give Arron a window to escape.

"Arron." The creature rumbled, patting her head slowly. He was extremely gentle despite the fact that he'd just broken right through their kitchen wall. "Arron... safe. Arron... good." Trexx rumbled, seeming happy. Shadows seemed to dance around them, as though joyful for Trexx's return to Arron. Shikaku lowered his kunai completely. Whatever this thing was, it wasn't here to hurt them.

Arron sniffled, not removing herself from Trexx. Shikamaru, Yoshino and Shikaku all stared awkwardly, not quite knowing what to do. Yoshino didn't really want to beat that thing with a wooden spoon. It was just coming to Arron the only way it knew how. That didn't mean her beautifully painted wall wasn't ruined, of course. She'd make him pay for it somehow.

"Arron... what is Trexx?" Shikamaru asked softly. Trexx's head shot up in surprise as though he hadn't realized other people were there, and a deep growl seemed to echo from him. It caused Yoshino and Shikaku to back up even more, but Arron simply patted the beast's back, shaking her head.

"Fine." She muttered. "Shikamaru good."

Trexx's growls stopped, and he patted Arron's head again. Shikamaru stared some more. He was surprised and maybe even a little jealous. He'd been Arron's person for so long now that he'd just gotten used to it, but now there was this thing that had the nerve to show up and interrupt it all. He hoped it wouldn't try and take her. He'd grown fond of Arron's company.

"I graduate tomorrow." Shikamaru said in an almost hollow voice, blinking in shock. He graduated tomorrow, and this thing had crashed through his kitchen wall. Not only that, but he hadn't been imagining those shadows around Arron! They really did curl around her, and scale her body, surrounding it.

"Yeah... you should... get to bed." Yoshino breathed. Arron, eyeing Shikaku like he was about to strike, inched back over to Shikamaru. Trexx followed without a second thought, nearly hitting his head on the kitchen light. He stumbled through the doorway, struggling to fit as Arron grabbed Shikamaru's hand and dragged him away.

"Should I uh... cover the wall?" Shikaku choked out. He needed to tell the Hokage about this first thing tomorrow.

"Probably." Yoshino breathed, still staring at the place Arron and Trexx had once stood.