Chapter 22

Third person pov

A week had gone by, and they'd fallen into a schedule. Shikamaru would talk to Arron on the way to school, and so would Choji once his path crossed with his Nara friends. She didn't say all too much, mostly answering answers that didn't require much of an answer. They'd check back in at lunch, and sometimes turn the walkie on during class so she could listen in. 

"Today Ino's dad is coming over for her therapy, right?" Choji asked as Shikamaru walked towards home. It was Friday, the day Inoichi had chosen to come. He'd be coming by in about an hour. "Do you think it'll go okay?"

"I don't know." The Nara sighed, looking up at the clouds. "She still can't even look at my parents without shaking, and she hasn't really had contact with anyone else." He said, shaking his head. He grabbed the walkie, holding it up. Choji paused.

"Arron, I'm almost home, over." Shikamaru said before releasing the button. He turned to his friend, urging him to continue with a raise of the eyebrows. Choji nodded rapidly.

"She still doesn't want to meet me, right? I-I mean, it's fine! I don't want to make her uncomfortable, but..." Choji trailed off hesitantly, and Shikamaru gave him a sympathetic look. Although Choji had never met Arron, and hadn't even heard her speak all that much, he'd grown somewhat of an attachment to the girl. He worried about her, and considered her a friend.

"I'll talk to her about it this week; I promise." Shikamaru gave a lazy grin that made Choji light up. The walkie crackled, and they both heard a deep, shuddering breath. Faintly, he could hear talking outside the closet she was in.

"Man... T-There is a man... over."

"Shit, Inoichi must have come earlier. I'll catch you later, Choji. I'll definitely tell you how it goes!" Shikamaru was already running. Yes, running. He held the walkie up to his mouth, waving one last time to Choji, who waved back readily. "I'm on the way, Arron. I'm running."

"Fast, over?"

"As fast as I can, over." 

~

Shikamaru got there not three minutes later, panting and sweaty, but there. He darted down the hall towards his room, tired and very well knowing how out of shape he was. His door was wide open, and faintly, he could hear crying. They were trying to open the closet. Arron had no doubt locked it from the inside.

"Hey, hey, stop!" Shikamaru called as he slid into the room, his eyes wide. Shikaku froze. "Don't do that!"

"Shikamaru, what're you doing back so early?" Yoshino asked, eyebrows furrowed with concern. He took a deep breath, putting a hand over his chest as he bent over to catch his breath. Inoichi stood awkwardly.

"I'm not early.... Inoichi-san is." He peeked up at the man.

"He changed the time. I completely forgot to tell you." Yoshino gasped, her hands flying up to her cheeks. "Oh my God, Shikaku, I forgot to tell him!"

"It's fine, Yoshino. We're sorry, Shikamaru. Just... how do you get her out of there?" Shikaku asked awkwardly. Inoichi sighed. They were making it worse. Arron's trauma, from what he knew, was deep-rooted. Something like this would only make it worse. He'd tried to tell Shikaku that, but the man was stubborn.

"Arron, I'm back." Shikamaru sighed, giving his dad the stink-eye. The door was open in an instant, surprising Inoichi. Arron darted to Shikamaru, diving for him as though she might get snatched before she could reach him. He opened his arms just as she crashed into him, shaking and sobbing. He sighed again. Damn, this was such a drag. They got her all upset. He hated it when she cried. He never knew what to do.