Chapter 21

Third person pov

Although Doctor Akiguru wanted to treat Arron immediately, she knew the girl wouldn't allow her to. They'd have to take things slow with Arron. She was skittish, and scared. She didn't know where she was or why she'd ended up here. She feared everything, and nobody blamed her. What she'd been through had been a tragedy, but Doctor Akiguru still didn't feel good waiting a whole week.

"I'll see you next week, Arron. It'll be alright." The Doctor swore with a smile. Arron didn't respond, her eyes on her bruised feet, which were still sore and hurt from when she'd ran through the woods. She stood partially behind Shikamaru, her hand holding his shirt in a death grip.

"Thank you." Shikamaru gave a slight, polite bow as the doctor left. The frown never left his face.

Arron...

~

The next day, Shikamaru took his walkie-talkie to school. He had brought extra batteries, and given Arron some as well. He didn't want to risk them dying. He talked to her the whole way there, but she didn't respond much. Sometimes he'd check to see if she was still there, receiving a soft yes in response. He wasn't sure what he was meant to talk about, but...

"Hey Shikamaru, what's that?" Choji chirped. He was waiting for him at the corner just a block away from the academy, just as he always did. He waved brightly, his eyes shining. Shikamaru grinned and waved back, releasing the button. No doubt the sound of another voice had scared Arron.

"It's a walkie-talkie. Arron has the other one." Shikamaru had told Choji all about Arron. The boy felt bad for her, and wanted to meet her more than he'd ever wanted to meet someone before. Shikamaru was hesitant to ask Arron if she'd ever want to meet Choji, even if the boy was even nicer than he himself was. He just... it hadn't been that long. Was she ready?

"C-Can I say hi?" Choji whispered.

Shikamaru pressed the button. "Arron, can my friend Choji, say hi? I told you about him. He's really nice, remember?" He coaxed as calmly as he could. Choji watched carefully, as though if he moved, it would ruin it all. "Over." Shikamaru added, releasing the button. He and Choji waited in a tense silence for a moment, just standing there, staring at the walkie-talkie in Shikamaru's hand.

"Hello... over." A voice whispered, barely able to be heard. Choji brightened considerably, and Shikamaru grinned. They began to walk towards school. He pressed the button.

"H-Hey, Arron." Choji cleared his throat a little. "Sorry. U-Uh, it's nice to meet you. I'm Choji. Oh, y-you knew that... over!" He panicked.

Shikamaru released the button, trying not to laugh. Choji sent him an embarrassed look, his eyes wide with horror.

"Cho...ji? ...Over." Shikamaru and Choji had to lean in to hear her voice. Shikamaru pressed the button.

"That's his name." The Nara grinned. "You okay if he talks to you too? I promise it will just be him and I, and you don't even have to meet him in person. I swear, over." He released the button. There was a crackle. Choji's eyes remained hopeful.

"Ie..."

"I think that means yes."

~

It's short but I need to time skip-