Chapter 55

Third person pov

"Sh-She's coming." Arron hissed quietly as Yoshino walked up the path towards the front  door. She turned away from the blinds, watching as Trexx and Shikaku both pushed the bookcase into place. Mothball was with them, several books stacked on his head. How he was balancing them was a mystery, but she was just glad they'd gotten him to stop eating every piece of furniture he spotted.

"Dammit." Shikaku hissed as he and Trexx began shoving books onto the shelves. Mothball rushed off to get more. Arron and Shikaku had come to a mutual understanding that Yoshino would probably kill someone or something if she found out what had happened. What had happened to her precious rug. That someone would probably be Shikaku, and that something, Mothball. Arron wasn't too sure Shikamaru would like to come home to find out his father had been killed because of some little shadow thing.

Mothball returned with the rest of the books. An even bigger stack than the last. The keys began to jiggle in the door, and they panicked.

Arron rushed over and lifted up Mothball. Squeezing his sides, he pushed him to the top of the books. He opened his mouth willingly, and soon he'd eaten all the books all over again. Shikaku shoved the other stack towards her, positioning himself in front of her with a forced smile as the door flew open.

"Hey, honey!" Shikaku coughed, smiling as his wife entered. Yoshino's eyebrows shot up as Arron hopped out from behind him, eyes wide. She was holding what looked like a tiny version of Trexx. A new edition, she noted. It let out a burp, and Arron squeezed it a little, shoulders tense and square. Shikaku was fairing no better.

"Is everything... okay?" Yoshino's eyebrows raised. 

"Eat sun?" Trexx tried.

"...Right. I'm glad to see you two are getting... along." She offered a hesitant smile, but Arron and Shikaku could see the suspicion in her eyes. Even Trexx and Mothball were sweating. As though they sensed the rage this woman could channel. "I'm going to go put the groceries away."

Arron and Shikaku nodded, watching her as she left into the kitchen. They stared after the woman as she disappeared. When Shikaku finally deflated with a sigh of relief, Arron stepped away from him, shoulders relaxing slightly. Mothball's mouth opened again without warning, and all the books came spilling out messily.

"That was close." Shikaku muttered. "Thanks, Arron."

Arron nodded, and they began to put the books back onto the shelf all over again. Arron was still tense, with Shikaku being so close and all, but he hadn't gotten mad at her over all the chaos Mothball caused. He hadn't touched her unless he needed to, and he certainly hadn't taken her. He was nice, like Shikamaru. That's what she told herself. She was living here, so she had to get used to him, right?

Right.

"Go distract her. I'll get this." Shikaku said lowly, glancing back at the kitchen. Arron nodded, grabbing Mothball and darting off. She was a little afraid to let him out of her sight, especially with Yoshino now home. They were already pushing their luck with the light fixtures, which were missing. They'd let Trexx take the fall for that one, but only because he'd eaten them again when they weren't looking.

Yoshino had actually been about to step back out of the kitchen when Arron appeared. "Mothball." She thrust him forward in a panic. The Nara woman blinked down at Arron. Seeing her standing next to Shikaku was really odd. She was terrified of him! Or she had been just a few days ago. Yoshino understood that Arron was making progress, but something had to have happened while she was gone for the girl to be that close to him without cringing away or crying.

"He's cute, Arron. Did you make him?" Yoshino asked with a smile. Arron nodded, pulling the small creature back towards her. "Did anything happen while I was gone?"

"No." Arron said a little too quickly. A book, literally, fell out of Mothball. The pair paused as it slapped onto the ground loudly. Arron tried not to cringe, a bead of sweat forming on her forehead. Mothball wasn't fairing much better. He didn't even know Yoshino, and even he seemed to fear the woman's wrath.

"...Right." Yoshino decided to let it slide. The house looked decent enough, and Arron wasn't crying. "Would you like to help me in the kitchen? It's almost dinner, after all."

Arron nodded, relieved by Yoshino's lack of questions. They returned to the kitchen, Arron setting Mothball on the table. The small creature quickly became fixated on the light fixture hanging above him, staring up at it with shiny, glazed-over eyes. Arron hoped he wouldn't try to eat it. She honestly wasn't too confident she'd be able to stop him this time. Her ribs still hurt from the way she'd crashed to the ground after taking a dive towards Mothball in the hall. She'd have bruises, no doubt.

"Did Shikaku help you learn how to make... Er, Mothball?" Yoshino asked. She knew Arron was hiding something from her, but knew the girl would never spill. Yoshino didn't mind. She'd pound the truth out of her husband later if worse came to worse. Humming, Yoshino flipped to the recipe she wanted to use.

Mothball sat stationary on the table as they cooked. Well, Arron did most of the cooking part. The girl let Yoshino cut the vegetables they'd need so the woman could be involved, and to make sure she didn't walk in on Shikaku and Trexx rushing to shove the mass amount of books Mothball had eaten back into the shelves.

"Are you excited?" Yoshino asked. Arron's head tilted a little in question. Yoshino smiled a little. "About Shikamaru."

That sudden ache of longing for him returned, and she brightened. That's right! Shikamaru would be back tomorrow. He'd be back, and surely he'd be fine. She couldn't help but feel immensely excited, her eyes alight, and a smile stretching across her face. Yoshino grinned, her heart warming. Not just because Arron suddenly seemed so alive and happy, but because she'd never thought she'd see the day someone loved her son more than she did.

~

"Shikamaru is th' most wonderful, nicest, cutest, smartest guy ever." Arron told Mothball. The creature clearly didn't understand anything she said, but sat on Shikamaru's bed with her and listened anyway. "I love him more than I've ever loved anyone." Arron explained giddily. "And he said he loves me too!"

"Tomorrow." Trexx recalled. He was also pleased that Shikamaru would be returning. The boy made Arron very happy, and Arron made him happy right back. That, and he fed him lamps.

"Yes! He's coming back tomorrow. I'm so excited." Arron sat bolt upright. "I miss him so much I could die."

This seemed to alarm Mothball, who looked to Trexx. Trexx shrugged weakly.

"How 'ave I made it so long without him?" Arron flopped backwards onto Shikamaru's pillow. "I simply cannot go another day without him here, Trexx. Not one!"

"No nightmare. Happy Arron." Trexx nodded. "Eat lämp."

"That's right... No more nightmares." Arron smiled. Shikamaru's presence always seemed to ward off bad memories. "Do you think he's missed me?"

"Ie." Trexx nodded. Arron smiled, snuggling into Shikamaru's bed. She fell asleep faster than ever, thoughts of Shikamaru's return lulling her to sleep.

She didn't have a single nightmare that night.

~

Y'ALL LOOK AT THIS ART MY BBY SNOOKS (Sukio_Tatsumi) DID AHHH ITS SO CUTE

She made it look like Trexx drew it and it's so cute I'm shook