Chapter 14

Third person pov

The water washed over her like a cleansing blanket of warmth, and she basked in it.

She couldn't remember the last time she'd had a shower of any kind, especially one with hot water. More often than not, she'd be dumped into a frigid lake or river with the other girls and boys they'd captured, one bar of soap for them all to share. Other times a bucket of icy, soap-filled water would be dumped over her head, and then she'd be sprayed with a hose. It had probably been two years since she felt she could relax and let the water engulf her.

She stood for what felt like hours, but was in reality mere minutes. She ran her fingers through her combed out hair, shakily scrubbing soap into the dirty locks. Arron couldn't help but feel satisfied as she watched all the dirt run down the drain, along with the specs of blood that had been mixed with it. She felt a twinge of hope, something she hadn't allowed herself to feel all too often. She had begun to think it didn't exist at all, and honestly, she was still skeptical.

She stepped out, wrapping herself in a towel that smelled like flowers. Her limbs ached at all the movement she'd been doing, so used to lying limp and unwilling. Arron forced them to work. She could feel Shikamaru's chakra signature, and that's the only reason she'd agreed to take a shower. She didn't want someone to take Shikamaru away. What if he did leave? She would be doomed, surely.

Putting back in the clothes she'd been given, which smelled faintly of Pine bark and the leaves of a Hinoki Cypress. She liked this smell. It was earthy and kind and lazy all at once, just like Shikamaru. Curiously, she wondered why he would ever smile at someone as pathetic as she was, or stop them from taking her. She was a monster and a parasite. Disgusting, like they'd all said. Shikamaru was just lying to her, but she didn't mind. It was out of kindness.

She peeked out of the bathroom cautiously, searching for any signs of Shikamaru's parents, who would surely drag her away if she wasn't careful. Just like before, Shikamaru's father would bring the man with the long hair in to try and drag her away, and the man that smaller like smoke would sit back to watch.

Shikamaru looked up at Arron darted into the room, all but slamming the door behind her. She pressed her back up against it, allowing herself to put her weight on the sliding contraption so she could calm her panicked breathing. Her eyes were wide with fear and alarm, although Shikamaru was sure there'd been nobody out there. He yawned tiredly. She'd get used to it eventually.

"Was your shower good? You look a lot better. Your hair's super shiny, too. I hadn't realized just how dark it was." Shikamaru knew she wouldn't speak, so he would. He tried not to sound tired and lazy, but it was just how he was. She did look better, though. Some color had returned to her cheeks and her hair was now darker than his, the dirt that had pulled it gone. He grinned almost sleepily. "You up for a walk in a few?"

Arron didn't answer, shuffling over towards her cot. She paused in front of Shikamaru's bed where he sat, her eyes wandering over to the book he held. It was one she'd seen before as a child. She remembered it well. It was a book about clans, or more specifically, clans dealing with shadows. Her dad used to read it all the time. She could still see him, sitting in his big leather arm chair with his glasses perched on his oddly long nose, his eyes scanning the pages as though they were the most interesting thing in the world.

"My clan is in here." Shikamaru told her, snapping her from her thoughts. She flinched in surprise, cursing herself. She'd gotten too caught up with herself. She had to pay more attention, right? When she didn't pay attention, bad things seemed to happen.

"See? It's near the front, since it's well known. I've been looking in the back. That's where the lost clans are. I guess it's pretty interesting, even if reading is a drag." Shikamaru closed the book and tossed it aside. Arron flinched as it landed on his pillow with an oddly loud slapping noise.

"I'm gonna go on a walk. I guess you could use the sun, but you can stay here if you want, too." Shikamaru started to the door, and while Arron was tempted to peek in the book in hopes of gaining some comfort from the familiarity of it, she found herself shuffling after Shikamaru, because he was the only good one here.

She didn't want to lose him too.