Chapter 57

Third person pov

That night, Arron refused to let go of Shikamaru. She was stuck to him like glue, latched onto him like some sort of koala. He didn't mind. Not one bit. He didn't much want to let go of her either, keeping his arms firmly around her. His emotions were going haywire, but eventually he managed to fall into a peaceful slumber, Arron still in his arms. They'd never cuddled like this before, or slept side by side so close. It left his chest feeling warm and his heart thumping with wild abandon.

Trexx and Mothball had taken to quietly staring out Shikamaru's window at, as you might have guessed, the sun. "Eat sun." Trexx said in a low tone, as not to disturb the pair slumbering in one another's arms. "Kill sun."

Mothball let out a chittering noise, never once removing his eyes from the light seeping between the curtains. 

Yoshino peeked in on the pair, and was pleased to see them both asleep. She knew Arron hadn't been getting much sleep with Shikamaru gone, but she looked so sound in her son's arms. She had to smile, contemplating going off to find a camera. Or perhaps she'd let them keep the moment to themselves... 

She closed the door softly. She couldn't wait to tell Shikamaru all about the progress Arron'd made. He had absolutely no idea all she'd done. She couldn't wait to see the look on his face when he realized all the progress she'd made. That she'd cooked, and left the house, and hugged her, and talked to herself and Shikaku. She was all but bursting at the seams with anticipation.

Shikaku was glad when dinner rolled around, but only because that meant Yoshino would finally stop blabbing to him about Arron and Shikamaru. It's not that he wasn't proud of Arron- he certainly was- he just didn't want to hear about it non-stop for nearly six hours on end. Yes, Arron and Shikamaru had been asleep for six hours. Yoshino insisted on checking on them in half-hour intervals.

"They must have been so exhausted. I can't imagine they've been getting much sleep apart. They probably needed it." Yoshino said as she set the table. "Do you think I should let them sleep longer?"

"Shikamaru probably hasn't had a proper meal in five days." Shikaku pointed out, although he really just wanted to deflect Yoshino's attention to someone else. Shikamaru had gotten a five day break from his mother, albeit, it was in a deadly forest. Shikaku sighed and sipped his tea. Still an upgrade.

Yoshino raced down the hall, all but slapping the sliding door open. Trexx and Mothball, who'd been quietly celebrating the setting of the sun, turned towards her in question. "Arron, Shikamaru." Yoshino called softly. "It's time for dinner."

Arron sat bolt upright, ripping out of Shikamaru's arms in such a way he woke up too, nearly falling out of the bed in surprise. He let out a groan, placing a hand against his forehead as he carefully propped himself up with his elbow. He blinked a few times, squinting at his mother, and then glancing at Arron. He felt his cheeks head up a little. They must have both fallen asleep...

"Dinner." She whispered to him as Yoshino disappeared again. She gazed down at him, dark hair falling around her face. Shikamaru felt his cheeks redden again as he looked at her lips, reminded of the kiss they'd had. He looked away awkwardly, nodding and pushing himself up so he was fully sitting. He glanced at her again. Her eyes were shining with joy, relief, and overall, love. Shikamaru hoped he could see the same emotions in his own eyes.

Trexx and Mothball followed them to the kitchen. Arron wouldn't let go of his hand. Shikamaru also didn't mind this, feeling quite satisfied as he sat down at the table. Arron's chair had been scooted closer to his prior. He felt grateful towards his mother for that. Shikaku grinned upon their arrival. Shikamaru took note that Arron didn't flinch, simply nodding back.

"Is Mothball being... good?" He asked Arron. 

"Ie." Shikamaru flinched, looking at her with slightly wide eyes. He hadn't expected her to verbally, or even physically, reply to the question. The shit-eating grin on his father's face told Shikamaru somethings had happened over the past five days.

Food was passed around and served, and soon they were all eating. Conversation sparked. "So, how was Arron while I was gone? She didn't say too much when I asked..." Shikamaru trailed off. And that was true. Arron ducked her head a little, tucking some hair behind her ear. She'd worked so hard to make herself and Shikamaru proud, but now she just felt embarrassed to say anything at all.

"I never thought you'd ask." Yoshino slammed her fork down excitedly, eyes blazing. Shikaku groaned a little, and Shikamaru looked just downright startled. "Well, first she made the most amazing steak I've ever had. Seriously, when I say that girl can cook, I mean she can cook."

"You cook?" Shikamaru looked taken aback. Arron shrugged vaguely but didn't deny it.

"She made four plates, and then agreed to leave the house with me to take it to Shikaku. All the way across the village! Can you believe it?!" Yoshino asked. Shikamaru's mouth nearly fell open in surprise. She'd left the house?! After... after cooking steak... to go to the T&I building to see... to see his father of all people?! What had he missed?! "Then, Trexx didn't want his food, so she gave it to Genma, who was at the front desk."

Yoshino continued. "The next day she got up early and made us breakfast. After which she thanked us! And she apologized to, but the apology really wasn't needed. Anyway, she hugged me after that! Then she disappeared, but she was careful to eat three meals a day, and she even made an effort to smile and make eye contact." Yoshino was blabbering but she didn't care. The look on Shikamaru's face was priceless.

"You... did all that?" Shikamaru turned towards her, lips twitching up as pride swelled in him.

"I'm not finished." Yoshino's voice was cheerful but held silent threat. Shikamaru turned back towards her. There was more?! "She talked to Inoichi after, but their session was cut short when she reportedly 'sassed him into leaving.' Then she spent the entire day with Shikaku without crying or running away, or even panicking, and he taught her how to make... uh... that." She waved towards Mothball.

"We bonded over... Mothball." Shikaku offered when Shikamaru turned towards him. Shikaku still wasn't willing to admit that the creature had taken out several bookcases and outrun him. Not to mention that damn rug that had been in Yoshino's family since the dawn of time.

"Arron..." Shikamaru turned to her with a huge grin. "You did all that?"

Arron offered a small nod, shrugging again. The pride he felt was overwhelming, pushing his momentary jealousy over the fact that he'd missed out on so much away. The progress she made while he was gone was awe inspiring. "Make Shikamaru proud." Arron felt embarrassed. "Be better."

"I am proud!" Shikamaru leaned over and captured her in a hug. One that she readily returned, relief falling upon her. She smiled a small smile, her joy rearing up like a startled horse. "You did so much! I was so afraid, but look at you." He pulled back again, grinning. "You're doing so well."

Shikaku and Yoshino shared a look as Shikamaru continued to rain praise down upon Arron, both of them grinning to each other. If what Shikamaru and Arron had wasn't pure, unadulterated love, they weren't sure it existed at all.