Chapter 24

Third person pov

Understandably, Choji didn't stay long. It was clear that he was making Arron nervous, and neither Shikamaru or the Akimichi wanted that. It was amazing that Arron had talked in front of him, let alone touched him. It was more than Shikamaru could have hoped for. He found himself quite excited to tell Inoichi of the development, no matter how minuscule it seemed.

"Do you have enough blankets?" Shikamaru asked. It was chilly for some odd reason. It had been warmer the night before. The weather in Konoha could be rather bipolar at times, so Shikamaru wasn't too terribly worried about it. His parents weren't either, despite the rumbling thunder that seemed to echo through the air every so often, followed closely by a flash of lightening.

Arron gave a nod, and Shikamaru nodded back. He headed for the door so he could get them both a glass of water before bed. His room opened into an open walkway that was exposed to an outside courtyard, and it was only going to be getting colder. Especially if the expected rain happened to fall. It was better that they got everything out of the way now.

"Hey, you two. Just about to head in?" Yoshino smiled at them. Arron, as usual, positioned herself behind Shikamaru upon seeing the woman. Shikaku sat at the table behind her, sipping at something that was probably coffee. It wouldn't surprise Shikamaru. His father was a lazy man, and yet he still worked his ass off.

"Yeah. We were just going to grab some water. So we don't have to come out." Shikamaru explained, heading over to the sink. Arron followed closely after him, eyeing Yoshino like she was about to lunge. The woman took extra care not to move. She wasn't to gain Arron's trust. She knew it would take a while, and Arron would never trust her on the level she trusted Shikamaru on, but she could dream.

Another crackle of thunder made Arron grasp Shikamaru's shirt, and Shikaku look up from his paperwork. "Some weather we're having. There were no reports of anything of this scale. Hell, it wasn't supposed to rain at all." Shikaku said, sipping his coffee as the kitchen light flickered. Arron seemed to perk up at this, looking directly at Shikaku. The man paused. She'd never stared so blatantly at... well, anyone.

"What is it, Arron?" Shikamaru raised an eyebrow. "You know, talking in front of them won't kill you."

Arron ignored him, her gaze moving towards the window. The clouds swirling above told Shikamaru that this storm was going to cause some damage to the forest, and probably to their roof. They really needed to get it replaced. The amount of leaks they had in this compound honestly wasn't okay.

"Shikamaru." Arron said. Yoshino and Shikaku both snapped their gazes towards her in silent surprise, and even Shikamaru turned and raised his eyebrows at her. "He's coming."

"Who?" Shikaku asked. Arron looked back to the window, and shadows seemed to curl around her body. This time Shikamaru knew he wasn't just seeing things.

"Trexx."

~

Trexx was not a living thing, really. He was a piece of Arron. A kekkai genkai that had taken shape. She'd been scared, and her fear had made him. A protector. Someone to help her, and to make her feel secure. He was Trexx. Arron hadn't chosen the name, and neither had he. It was simply who he was. What... he was.

He ran on all fours, an odd shadow in the dim evening. The sun was going down, but nobody could tell. The turmoil a being like Trexx brought along hid that. He knew the weather was his fault. But he didn't care. It shielded him well. He just needed to get to Arron. Nothing much else mattered. She was his purpose.

The air was cold, but he didn't notice as he bounded towards the house. It was large, a type of compound. Trexx didn't care. This is where she'd ran to seek refuge, so this is where he would go. He was going to get to her no matter what. It was his job. His sworn duty.

"Arron." His voice was lost in the wind, rumbling along with the thunder. Brief flashes of lightning illuminated him as he ran, but never did he falter. He didn't care who saw him. He didn't care what happened.

He just had to get to Arron.