Chapter 56

Third person pov

Of course there'd be a preliminary round. Why wouldn't there be?

Annoyance weighed heavy on Shikamaru when he realized he wouldn't be able to go straight to Arron. Instead, he found himself tired, dirty, and standing in the middle of a small arena to face of against some guy by the name of Kin. It wasn't exactly how he was imagining spending his lunch. In fact, in any ideal circumstance, he'd like to be at home with Arron in his arms rather than here, fighting until one of them collapsed.

He'd make this quick. He just wanted to get out of here. His teammates both cheered loudly for him, raising their hands up and clapping as they hollered out words of encouragement to the lazy boy. Shikaku's eye twitched slightly, but he knew they meant well, so he didn't say a word. Instead, he watched his opponent enter the ring.

It was a sound ninja, he observed with a sigh. It was a drag. He was not only unable to see Arron, but he was having to fight a girl. Not that he was belittling girls, no. He knew from his mother, and even from Arron, just house fierce and terrifying they could be. It made this would thing so much more troublesome! He grit his teeth. He didn't want to lose, particularly, but if that meant ending it sooner...

Then again, this chick looked like she'd sooner kill him rather than simply knock him flat on his ass.

Shikamaru had no idea what she was capable of, but he knew for a fact she'd seen his jutsu, which made this about ten times worse. If she had any brains at all, and Shikamaru suspected she did, then he was pretty screwed at the moment. He sighed again, his eyes searching for a solution. 

Shikamaru got stuck with several senbon during the match, much to his dismay, but he managed. He sent a thin shadow towards her, despite the fact that her ninja wire wouldn't cast a shadow at such a height. It was a pain, really, but at least he wasn't dead. She'd been so terribly caught up in killing him that she hadn't been paying any attention to him. He scoffed, his left arm and shoulder burning. Damn wounds.

Eventually he knocked the girl out against a wall after throwing a ninja star at her. Albeit, that meant she'd thrown one at him to, as she was under his control, but he decided telling Arron and his mother about that wouldn't be a good idea. Arron had already shown possessive traits, ones that he most definitely did not mind, and he was not about to give her any reason to go off killing every female sound shinobi she saw until she finally found the right one.

He sighed as medics rushed out to tend to his arm. What a drag.

~

Today was the day! 

Arron was up bright and early, and for the love of god, she could not stop moving. She paced, and bounced, and swayed back and forth, and hopped from foot to foot. Yoshino and Shikaku had tried to tell her he wouldn't be back until at least after noon, but it was to no avail. She didn't listen, instead roaming the front room patiently, peeking out the window every five seconds or so.

"Won't you eat something, dear? It's nearly lunch time." Yoshino had gotten her to take some water, but other than that she didn't sit still long enough to take in much else. She had to be at least a little hungry. At least, Yoshino hoped the girl was. Arron didn't much pay attention to the woman, full of energy the Nara woman had no idea she'd possessed.

"Almost noon?!" Arron clapped her hands together happily. "Shikamaru!" 

Yoshino couldn't help but smile as Arron bounded across the room and to the window, bouncing up and down happily. Trexx and Mothball sat side by side on the couch, staring at the light fixture above them in silence. They had been for hours now, and Yoshino was beginning to feel a little bad. Although, she didn't fancy them ripping lights right out of the ceiling, perhaps she could dig some old lamps out of a closet...