Chapter 72

Third person pov

The women set up a picnic outside in the vast yard while the men and women all worked. The designer Arron had hired from an alleyway had brought flowers and cupcakes to gift them before they got to work ripping the floors out with brute strength alone. There was something a little awing about watching people filter in and out of the house, dropping furniture at the curb. Watching roofers toss old shingles off and into the grass, and seeing new coats of paint streak across the outside surface of the home.

Coldwell wanted so badly to bring it up. He knew now why he hadn't recognized her. She hadn't talked back then, nor had she ever given her real name. He didn't know what to do. It was clear her trauma was still fresh. He'd been out of the horrendous circulation of being bought and sold for nearly two years now, and even he still had his moments.

"Nothing happened while you two were out, right? You're being really quiet." Ino's hand brushed his arm, and he jumped, eyes flickering down to her. Ino saw a flash of fear, and she didn't know why, but it made her flinch. She'd seen that look before. Her face hardened slightly, eyebrows creasing, and lips pressing together harshly. "What do you know?"

"Nothin'." The boy bit out, turning away sharply. "Ain't none of your business."

"But Arron is."

"It ain't about her."

It was.

~

"I said silk, Lawney! What is this shit?!" The man in the coonskin cap asked.

"Cashmere, sir!" The other responded.

"Get your gay ass back to the curtain store and fix this mess." He snapped. The only thing that wasn't done was the interior design. The man in the coonskin hat, who still remains nameless, was being picky this time around. He said this house was a special kind that needed expertise and a critical eye in order to look flawless. Apparently the rooms flowed together oddly.

"This is more amusing than any movie I've ever seen." Ino was camped out next to Arron on a blanket. Ever since the odd encounter with the strange teen they'd met earlier, Coldwell, she'd been sticking close to the dark-haired girl. She could still feel the boy gazing at her. He seemed almost distressed, if not a little lost, as he gazed at her. Nothing like his gruff gaze from before. Then again, they'd only just met him that day.

"Ie." Arron snorted a little. 

"So, how're things with Shikamaru, anyway? Have you guys kissed yet?" Ino wiggled her eyebrows. She was certain Arron had a huge crush on him. Or was in love with him. Ino was also pretty sure the girl was aware of her own feelings.

"Yes." Arron shrugged.

"Aw, bummer. You sh-" Ino froze. "Wait... what?!"

"'ou are louder than the gay man." Arron winced a little, and Ino gave an apologetic look as her friend rubbed her ear.

"Sorry, sorry. Just... what?! Why didn't you tell me you kissed him?" Ino whined out, her lower lip jutting out into an over-exaggerated pout. Arron rolled her eyes at her and scoffed a little, and Ino gasped with mock offense. Didn't Arron realize the gravity of the situation?

"It lasted less than a' small moment." Arron shrugged.

"I don't care if it was a second, Arron! It was lip-to-lip contact. This is monumental. What happened after that? Have you done it since?" Ino spouted out, eyes wide with wonder. Arron leaned away from her. 

"Sleep... sleeped." Arron frowned. That sounded wrong. "Slept?"

"Yeah, that's right. But seriously you... I mean- you should tell him you love him!" Ino complained, letting out a huff. They'd be so cute as a couple! They practically were one, but knowing they weren't in actuality was frustrating in every way imaginable. They were clearly taken with each other, and it's not like anyone else would ever fall in love with Shikamaru. He was Shikamaru.