Chapter 43

Third person pov

Shikamaru felt happy as he, Arron and Trexx all walked home together. Arron still pressed up against him nervously, and acted as though there were an enemy around every corner and up every tree, but she was better. She'd talked in front of the team willingly, and seemed to be getting along with Ino far better than he ever would have guessed. He guessed girls were just sort of like that. It helped that Ino came from the Yamanaka clan. If anyone knew how to deal with Arron, it had to be her.

"Mom, we're home!" Shikamaru called into the house as he an Arron stepped in. Arron seemed a little more relaxed now that they were in familiar territory. That, and Shikamaru assumed him and Trexx being there was adding to her state of comfort somewhat. She did cower at the sight of Yoshino as the woman once again appeared out of the kitchen, smiling at them.

"Hello, Arron! Trexx!" She ignored Shikamaru completely. The Nara sighed. Arron didn't even talk to the woman, or even make eye contact, and yet he was quite convinced she liked the girl more than she liked him, her own son. That was just like her though. Troublesome woman. 

Arron didn't respond, keeping her eyes on the ground. Shikamaru let out a puff of air and began to shuffle back for his room, but his mom stopped him before he could. "Not so fast! I made lunch." Yoshino said. Shikamaru almost let out a groan. Anytime she made something, at least Shikamaru had to eat it. It was a real drag. Especially when the food sucked.

"Why don't you two eat in the dining room for today. The table is getting dusty from all this neglect." Yoshino urged as Shikamaru shuffled in the kitchen, Arron close behind. Trexx scooted after them, careful not to take the new frame off the entry way as he followed. Yoshino seemed to appreciate how careful the beast was. 

"Why don't you and dad eat at the table then? I'm sure Arron would rather eat back in my room." Shikamaru had gotten used to the luxury of eating in his room. He'd almost forgotten the days when he was only allowed to eat back there if Choji was over, and even then it was only simple things like chips or those little assorted cheese cubes you bought at the store. This house was old. That meant there were a lot of nooks and crannies for bugs and mice to slip into.

"She'd rather eat wherever you are." Yoshino said. "And I say you're here." 

Shikamaru stared dryly at her, letting out a heavy sigh. "Arron, are you okay with eating in here?" He asked her, his eyes shifting down to her form. She was staring at Yoshino with a frown, evidently not liking how she was talking all too much. Shikamaru didn't blame her; he didn't like it either. Arron shrugged.

"So how was the hot springs?" Yoshino asked.

"Good, I guess. Arron talked a lot." Shikamaru sighed as he sat down, still not too happy about having to eat out here, but knowing arguing now was futile. Arron scooted her chair as close to his as she could until the seats were almost touching. Trexx moved to the end of the table that didn't have a chair and sat down politely. He was honestly probably the most well-mannered one in the house if you excused the lamp eating and door-frame destroying.

"That's good! What did she talk about?" Yoshino asked as she got out a pair of plates. Arron flinched as they were set down in front of them

"She talked with Ino a lot. I'm not sure what it was about." He yawned. "What a drag."

"I'm just glad she's opening up more." Yoshino chirped. "Maybe one day her and I can have a conversation!" 

"Yn amheus." Arron muttered so quietly Shikamaru barely heard her. He raised an eyebrow. Arron blinked at him for a moment before looking down and resting her head against the side of his arm. The Nara's cheeks immediately heated, and he worked to keep the color out of his cheeks so that his mother wouldn't notice.

"Well, who's ready for some Yakitori?!"

Arron flinched. Shikamaru sighed. "Mom, not so loud."

Trexx was too busy staring at the light fixture above the table to really care.