Chapter 6

Disclaimer: Naruto isn't mine. Shocker.

Warnings: As if you don't know

Third person pov

It only took the girl about five seconds to really wake up. To emerge from her groggy state and to... well, to start to hyperventilate and cry. Shikamaru wasn't sure what she'd been through, but he guessed he'd be crying too if he were in her shoes. That didn't mean he had any idea as to what he was supposed to do, or how he was supposed to react. He wasn't used to people, girls, crying. He'd comforted Choji a few times, but this was completely different! 

"Hey, hey, it's okay." Shikaku stood up, which was apparently the wrong move. The girl let out shriek, scrambling away from them at to the other end of the couch. Eyes wide and breathing heavy, she began to look around. Her head snapped left and right, up and down as she tried to figure out just what had happened. Shikaku stilled, his hands raising slowly in surrender. "Don't worry, you're safe. Nobody is going to hurt you here. We found you passed out in the forest."

Tears leaking from her eyes, she pushed herself right off the other end of the couch, landing on the ground with a thump. Shikamaru hopped up, and he and his father raced over to see she'd backed herself up all the way to the wall. She'd drawn her legs up to her, hugging them to her body and burying her face in her knees. It was one of the saddest things Shikamaru had seen. This poor, random girl who was his age, curled up into herself, shaking, crying and terrified. 

"H-Hey, don't cry." Shikaku was beginning to panic. "It's alright. We're not going to hurt you. What's your name? What happened? Where's your family?"

The girl began to shake harder, and Shikamaru winced. "Dad, I think you're making it worse." He whispered. The man winced slightly, his hands twitching. The girl flinched, tightening her hold on her legs and burying her face even deeper into them. Shikamaru winced as well, recoiling when his mother came into the room.

"She woke up!" Yoshino's cry made the girl shriek again, and begin to sob harder. The woman flinched in response, her eyes widening. Shikaku scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, stepping back as Yoshino rushed forward. Shikamaru watched with interest as she crouched down in front of the girl, staying a few good feet away. Shikaku watched on silently as well.

"We're not going to hurt you, dear. It's going to be okay." Yoshino soothed. The girl flinched, pushing herself as close to the wall as she could. Shikamaru frowned, feeling awfully sad. Even just looking at her, he wanted to help her. Surely she couldn't have done anything to deserve something so bad. It had to have been bad, right? Otherwise she wouldn't be so afraid.

"Mom, she might be scared of adults." Shikamaru realized. Shikaku nodded. "That's a valid suggestion. Based on the... state we found her in, dear. The... blood, and such." He cleared his throat slightly, eyeing the girl. He didn't want to upset her farther, although he wasn't sure she was even listening anymore. 

They stared, unsure of what they were supposed to do. She wasn't talking, and it certainly didn't seem like she'd be looking up at them anytime soon. "I think... we should leave her alone for a while." Yoshino said, her voice soft. "We need to watch her at all times. Shikamaru, that will be your job. I'll go get some food and Shikaku can get her some blankets, and inform the board." 

"Alright." Shikamaru nodded, sitting down on the couch rather awkwardly. Shikaku seemed hesitant, glancing down at the curled up girl. He clearly didn't want to leave the poor thing, but he also knew that he'd do nothing but scare her. She'd clearly been... she'd clearly been raped. Drugged and beat, as well. She probably didn't want to be anywhere near a man, especially one with scars like Shikaku's, and a voice that deep. He was a scary looking, and sounding, guy.

Yoshino and Shikaku left to talk in the kitchen, leaving Shikamaru with the scared girl. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to talk to her or not. He wanted to, to comfort her. That's what you were supposed to do when someone was upset, right? He wanted to help this stranger, but he wasn't sure how he possibly could. She'd shrieked and cried the second his mom or dad opened their mouths. But maybe he was right, maybe she'd be more comfortable with someone her own age, even if Shikamaru wasn't a girl like she was. He wasn't sure what had happened to her, but maybe he could make her feel more comfortable, even if he sort of wanted to take a nap. 

"Hey there." Shikamaru kept his voice low, as not to alert his parents. He slid closer to the end of the couch closest to her. "My name's Shikamaru, and I think we're about the same age."