𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

-Diana's POV-

I didn't call Natalie last night...she didn't even message me saying goodnight. I'm upset about it, of course I am...I've gotten and sent a goodnight message every single night for the last two years when I'm at college.

I didn't receive one message last night.

My professor speaks, teaching her class while I focus more on my phone to see if I get anything from Natalie, even though she's in class too at this moment.

Why isn't she texting—

"Diana, what about you?" I hear my name, I drop my phone—shit—I go to pick it up but instead I sit back quickly sitting up straight. I look to Professor Moore who's leaning against her desk.

"Uh—sorry, what?" I ask.

"Do you have an answer for my question?"

"I'm sorry—I wasn't focused, what question?" I ask and she leans off her desk as people start looking back at me, I sink into my chair a little.

"I asked, why does society construct social hierarchies?" She asks and I nod, I think for a second and my mind goes blank, it's not a hard question, I'm just having a hard time thinking with everyone looking at me and my hands shaking.

"Um...Because, people.....um...I'm sorry, I don't know." I say and a few people start laughing...Professor Moore smiles.

"That's okay, Diana. Just listen please." She says and I bite the inside of my cheek as I feel my face heating up, people are staring at me. I just nod, sinking into my chair even more as more people start laughing...please make me disappear.

"Thank you, Diana." Professor Moore thanks me for nothing and I just stay back in my seat, hoping I will sink into it and disappear.

Why did I say that. I didn't even make sense! I sounded like an idiot, the only time I've ever answered something too!

I pack up my things, grabbing my phone off the floor...I left it there because I was too embarrassed to move. I'm mortified to say the least. I'm never speaking up again. I'm also definitely not at the top of the class..

I get up out of my seat...of course I'm the last one left too.

I walk down the isle quickly, just as I'm about to pass professor Moores desk she calls me.

"Diana." She says and I freeze. I turn on my heels to face her.

"Hi—yeah?" I ask and she smiles.

"Good work today, I say you were agitated, I'll keep in mind to call on you when you're focused." She smiles and I nod.

"Er...yeah, thank you—I'm not good with speaking in front of lots of people and there's...a lot of people in your class." I smile and she continues to smile back.

"That's fine, I've noticed you don't speak to anyone though..." She says fixing a pile of papers on her desk and I press my lips together, threading my fingers together.

"Yeah...I prefer to keep to myself, you know?" I say and she nods.

"You sure? I had trouble making friends in college as I was quite shy and quiet too." She crosses her arms and I smile.

"I'll be fine, I've lasted a year and a half now." I laugh and she chuckles.

"Well, you can consider me a friend." She says and I laugh a little.