𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

-Diana's POV-

"This town must have been a great place to grow up." Josephine says as we walk through the park while kids scream on the swings.

Natalie basically forced me to wear a jacket and I could thank her for it now because it's freezing, there's basically a cloud of smoke when I breathe out, I feel like a dragon.

Josephine has everything, a light brown trench coat, she has the rope of it tied around her waist, a white scarf and white gloves.

"Its an okay place now." I shrug, and I can feel her eyes going to me. I keep looking at the damp concrete.

"Did you not like growing up here?" She questions. Those kids must be freezing on the swings, I could never. I'm trying to avoid the question by bringing my mind elsewhere but...

"I didn't like growing up in general." I say, putting my hands into the pockets of my jacket.

"Why not? Were you anxious about the big world of work?" She bumps my shoulder and I smile a little. I Shake my head, scrunching my nose a little since it's freezing—why did I decide to leave the house. I want to go back to bed.

"Um...Josephine, my childhood wasn't...good, so growing up you know, it was rough or whatever." I tell her, glancing to her and she looks at me before nodding.

"I relate to that, actually. My Mother passed when I was thirteen." She tells me and I nod looking around. Very similar...

"What about your Dad?"

"He...was abusive, as he thought it was me and my sisters fault, I had to take care of my little sister Robin from a young age." She says and I kick a Little Rock on the floor after she speaks.

"I'm sorry for that. It wasn't your fault." I tell her as I'm unsure of what else to say but she smiles.

"Ah, it's fine. My father got his act together when I was around twenty, he is a very successful business man, sends me and my sister money to make up for the bruises. Like...great job, you are an amazing father now, I will get you a medal with the money." She says and I shouldn't, but I do laugh because she does.

We keep walking and I begin to calm down again, she lets out a breath causing a little cloud to escape her mouth because of how cold it is. I shiver a little, I should have wore fluffy socks.

"Do you want to tell me about your Parents?" She asks and I keep walking, I nod a little.

"My Dad was also abusive, he got really addicted to alcohol...ended up hitting me and my Mom. He left when I was young which led to my Mom getting into alcohol then drugs...then the abuse began again until my Aunt took me in." I say and she sighs.

"You did not deserve any of that...You are brave for speaking up and getting out of there. I never spoke up, you know, just tell everyone I had the best life." She says and I scrunch up my nose again.

"I didn't speak up, Charlie found out and he told Jane to get me out of there....You know, I thought I was going to die in that house, whether it be from my Mom or from myself because at times I almost—" I stop talking as I feel her eyes on me and realise my words. I stop walking and she does too.

"I understand that, at times, my own mind would wonder to the thought of making it stop." She says and I look at her.

She looks back at me and smiles a little.

"You are shivering, here, take my scarf." She pulls it over her head and I shake mine quickly.

"No, it's fine—"