𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

I put a strawberry in my mouth as I put another on the reindeers nose. Natalie's still asleep, I got up early to make her breakfast in bed.

I smile at my work, I pick up the plate, bringing it over to the bed tray table, I put it on there, besides the cutlery.

I turn going over to the coffee pot, I open the cupboard above me, getting out a mug before closing the cupboard again.

I set the mug down on the marble counter before picking up the coffee pot, I pour a glass of the black coffee into the mug. I also put on a Christmas hat in honour of Christmas.

I should bring one of her presents up...a small one. One of the books I got her.

I put the coffee pot back before lifting the mug, bringing it over to the tray. I set it down carefully.

I run to the living room quickly, I bend down besides the tree looking around. I pick up one of the presents with my wrapping paper. It's a white one with little candy canes.

I pick it up, it's definitely one of the books I got her...I think?

I go back to the kitchen again. I try fit it on the tray, it's a tight fit but it's fine. Maggy lays down on the floor.

I look around before I walk over to one of the drawers pulling it out, I look in the next one as I close it.

"Maggy, where does she keep your treats?" I look to her and she just stares at me.

"Yeah, I figured I wouldn't get an answer." I huff, I pull out another drawer spotting them, okay...She has a lot of treats. I take out one of the packets as I feel Maggy rubbing herself off my legs.

I smile opening the bag of treats, I take out a few of the small treats before closing the packet and putting it back where it was. I close the drawer with my hip before I bend down holding my hand out to her.

She eats them and I smile.

As she finishes, I rub the top of her head before standing back up, I walk over to the sink quickly washing my hands.

I turn around again lifting the tray from the counter...definitely heavier than I thought. I watch the coffee as I start walking slowly...really slow.

I can't drop any of this...if I do everything is ruined, Christmas will be over. I bite the inside of my cheek focusing...very hard.

I walk towards the stairs as slow and as steady as I can, the stairs is where everything could go downhill...myself included.

I take the first step and the coffee swirls inside the mug.

"Happy birthday, Jesus. I love you." I whisper before taking another step. The fork slides and I gasp but nothing falls.

I take two steps...everything's still in tact.

I keep walking..slowly, steady and concentrating as best as I can. I spent like an hour preparing this, if my hard work gets ruined...I will cry.

Last few steps.

I take one step at a time, the coffee still swirling...my heart pounding....But I can't panic because then my hands will get shaky—and sweaty and everything will fall, knocking me back down the stairs with it. Then Natalie will have no breakfast, a broken mug and plate along with a broken girlfriend...

"Darling." I hear Natalie. I freeze. I'm going to fall back..

"Don't move! Stay in bed! Please, just give me a second!" I say.

"Why? What are you doing?" I hear her ask suspiciously, I take another step...there's one more step.

"Just wait! Wait, please!" I say and I hear nothing.