Shriek

Batman Beyond 'Fan Fiction Story'

By Tayla Drago

Episode# 6 – Shriek

Derek Powers sits alone in a dark room while listening to a lecture from acoustician Walter Shreeve, who explains that sound is the first warning of danger and is under-appreciated. Just after that, Powers hears the sound of a locomotive racing towards him and stares into its headlight. Just as he screams in panic, the illusion ends and Shreeve points out that it was only to prove his point. At first Powers is angry at the mediocre demonstration. However, Shreeve shows his financial benefactor the real reason for his visit, this being the invention of a profound acoustical amplification/manipulation suit capable of easily destroying solid objects through use of focused infrasonic frequencies. Shreeve expresses his desire to use this suit to revolutionise the construction industry, but Powers is still unimpressed. Seeking though to make use of Shreeve Sound Laboratories' research & development which has been made possible by Wayne-Powers funding, Powers conceives a specific use for the young scientist's cyclopean sonic-suit: he propositions Shreeve to eliminate the elderly Bruce Wayne and capture Gwen/Batwoman.

"I want for you to solve a little problem for me?" Powers said to Shreeve.

"What?" he asked.

"Not what, who...As well as finding me Batwoman for I know who she is for her powers are very important to me."

Later, Bruce makes a speech 'as Gwen aids him from his work to stay by his side' to his board of directors expressing his disgust with Powers' idea to tear up Crime Alley, now known as Gotham's Historical District due to being left unchanged from the city's development and build an industrial complex. He proposes that they hold a stockholders' meeting for a vote. The proposal is quickly seconded, and Powers has no choice but to allow the meeting to take place. Nevertheless, he's sure that his plan will succeed.

"You're doing well standing up against Powers, Gwen, you're getting better." Bruce quietly said to Gwen.

She felt shy when her step-uncle said it.

"Huh? Who me?! Uncle Bruce, I'm just doing what you told me to do. Live a normal life to help you out at work and nothing else."

"But to ignore Powers to still wants you from your powers."

For Bruce to have a good point, Powers won't stop until he has Gwen in his hands.

"I wish to not be a weapon but to be myself who's not a monster. And I'm more worried about you from the likes of this person." she said. "I'm afraid soon enough he'll snap."

"But I can bite back." he added.

For Terry to be driving Bruce around and Gwen and Ace to be tagging along, he was getting them to be driving a future type of car really well.

"You're good driving a car, Terry."

"Thanks, Gwen." Terry smiles to impress her. "Maybe one day we'll teach you have to drive."

For Ace to bark to say that Gwen wasn't ready yet, she pets her friend to keep him calm.

"Now, now, Ace. Terry was just offering something to do. But I'll think about it, he did say one day, right?"

Gwen and Ace get a long well for the dog to know more about Terry, little at a time that is...Bruce and Gwen then meet up with Terry and takes him to Crime Alley, where he explains why he's fighting so hard to keep the place preserved: it includes the theater where his parents were killed. Megan meets up with the others on the spot where Bruce told her to be at.

"Hi, everyone. Welcome to the grave-like town." she said to place a rose on the spot. "For you, Mr. And Mrs. Wayne."

Terry and Gwen see why Bruce took them to the area.