The Eggbaby

Batman Beyond 'Fan Fiction Story'

By Tayla Drago

Episode# 31 – The Eggbaby

A truck drives up to a large mansion just outside of Gotham. A trio of people gets out: two men (Carl and Slim) and a middle-aged woman. The three break into the house and convince the butler to show them where the safe is. After finding the safe, the group blows it open and the woman (the mother of the two younger men) sorts through the valuables and steals a ruby ring. All other items are shunned. The next day, Bruce calls up Terr and Gweny and tells him about the robbery.

"Hi, Uncle Bruce. Anything big from the mysterious robbery since last night?" Gwen asked.

"I think Megan will give you a background check on them on what she told me.

Bruce allows for his wife Megan to give the two couples/crime fighting duo the backgrounds of the three wanted bounty criminals.

"Her name is Ma Mayhem with her two sons, Slim and Carl. Named by a tabloid in the 'golden age of alliteration', Ma Mayhem and her husband ran afoul of the law and committed a series of unnamed crimes, presumably old-fashioned heists. She had two sons, Slim and Carl, whom she kept on a tight leash and disciplined with tough love. At some point, her husband ran off with another woman, leaving the gang comprised of only Ma and her sons. From that point on, Ma Mayhem refused to be reminded of how her husband left her with something, and often pretended that her husband died. After getting out of prison, Ma Mayhem embarked on a crime spree to reclaim a set of rubies which held special meaning for her. It was the first swag she and her husband had stolen together, and had promised never to fence it." she tells about her sons next. "Slim served as the thieving family's safe cracker. He followed his mother in her plan to steal back various pieces of jewelry she had stolen earlier, though somewhat reluctantly. He disliked his mother's plan to only steal the jewelry, while instead they could have stolen items worth more than ten times that. Carl was the muscle of the crime family, but not very bright. With his mother and brother, he went after several jewels that his mother had stolen years earlier. Dumb, strong, strange, and weird as they all seems, they can be tricky to stop."

With Megan at work and Bruce telling them about more robberies they were doing of rubies only.

"I heard some women have a thing for jewels to be their money." said Gwen. "I really don't like them on me."

"(They met on Gweny's hands anyways.)"

For Gwen's inner self to say that to have trouble wearing some of it. Apparently, Ma Mayhem has been stealing ruby jewelry but for unknown reasons.

"What does she want with rubies?" Terry asks Bruce.

"I don't know, but I'll bet she's not making slippers."

For to say that straight out of a Cinderella story.

"Slippers, from rubies?" questioned Terry.

"Before your time." Bruce said.

"Sounds painful." Gwen said.

From slippers made of jewels to wear on your foot, yes it would hurt to wear.

"I wouldn't wear them if you paid me." Megan added. "I'm going to look up on more of these guys to get my bounty money. Just get to work when you two can."

However, before Terry or Gwen can deal with it, Terry has to go to his Family Studies class, which he's failing and this will be Gwen's first time doing it.

"It's Family Studies and I'm failing!" Terry hangs up.

With Bruce looking at Ace to ask this strange question to his dog.