King's Ransom

Batman Beyond 'Fan Fiction Story'

By Tayla Drago

Episode# 40 – King's Ransom

The Royal Flush Gang 'they're at it again' attempts to break into a museum. Without Ten, they lack an expert to disable the security systems. When Jack points this out, his father berates him and causes him to trigger the alarm by mistake.

"Too late!" said Batman.

Batman and Batwoman arrives and takes them on.

"Look it here, Bats." she spoke up to stop the four villains in a fire-like circle. "Our old enemies the Royal Flush Gang are back, but no Ten. Good! I'm glad she had a change of heart."

Good thing Gwen told Terry about Ten helping out to know of Gwen was Batwoman only to keep to herself.

"(Me too. But that doesn't mean we can't let her family off this easily. As well as her keeping my identity a secret.)"

In the subsequent fight, Ace is damaged, and Jack is captured for Batman to damage up Ace, and Batwoman to put the heat on against Jack from powers to fighting skills.

"Lost again?" Jack said in defeat.

"Seems like it, big boy." Batwoman said back. "That's two down, and two more to go!"

King and Queen manage to get away with their loot, a jaguar statue, though its ear is broken off.

"(Got away again...)" said Gwen. "We'll be ready for them next time, Batman.)"

Jack is interrogated at the police station. Commissioner Gordon, knowing that the family's personal taste runs to different periods, demands to know who hired them to steal the statue.

"Another one of the non-talking bad guys I see." Megan smacks Jack upside the head. "Take him away, officers."

Jack claims ignorance, but Bruce has a good idea who the Gang's employer is.

"They were working with someone and I think I know who." Bruce was on to something big.

King meets with Paxton Powers 'they work for him now' to deliver the statue and collect their fee. However, Paxton notices the broken ear and gives King only a meager payment. King objects, but is promptly knocked flat by Paxton's assistant, a skilled martial artist. King is forced to crawl away with the pittance. At their hideout, Queen harangues her husband, saying the family is barely scraping by, and comparing King unfavorably with her father, the previous leader of the gang. King angrily says he has a backup plan. The Gang abducts Paxton and holds him for ransom, demanding 20 million credits. Kind of serves him right. Melanie Walker is working as an assistant chef at a restaurant. She sees the news of Paxton's abduction and is confronted by Batman and Gwen.

"Why do I have to talk to Melanie like this?" Gwen asks herself.

"She knows who you are, Gwen, it's fine. And to prove that you work for me and you a Batwoman to keep a secret about to get some answers on what she might've heard about her family lately. Since she's not Ten anymore..." Terry/batman stops to say something else. "Listen! I'm not going to end up with Melanie, I swear!"

She gets it since she and Melanie have been talking lately...

"Hey, it's fine, Terry, you chose me over her. And Dana...Well, it might've been Dana or me." she gets it to hug her man. "I love you a lot. In fact, Melanie and I have been talking a lot to help her get a new life and a job. She's doing great, we became pals in some way you wish to call it. And if this will get her family to put a stop to, then why not."

"(It's better than her being the original Ten again.)" said Gwen's other self. "(Let just get this over with already.)"

Good to see Gwen and Melanie to get along alright. As the two see her again...