Babel

Batman Beyond 'Fan Fiction Story'

By Tayla Drago

Episode# 24 – Babel

Within the Batcave, Terry, Gwen and Bruce are busy repairing the Batsuit after a battle with Mad Stan while Bruce reminisces about some of his old adventures.

"You didn't think of Mad Stan would try to blow you up with a hand grenade." he said.

"I did, but he had two."

Gwen backs up Terry's story.

"I know I did, Uncle Bruce. Terry didn't see the other one coming." she said. "It was so fast."

"What she said." Terry spoke up for Gwen. "Anyways, Bruce, tell me the rest of the story." Bruce tells Terry about how he once walked into a trap, knowing it may be fatal, and taking on faith that Robin would arrive in time to save him. "How did you know Robin would get there in time to save you?"

"I didn't." said Bruce.

When Terry asks how he knew, Bruce is evasive. When Terry presses, Bruce admits the truth: he didn't.

"Then for all you knew, you were walking into a trap with no way out." said Terry.

"And it just happened knowing that you knew?" ask Gwen.

"(Must've been scary.)" her inner self said as well.

Terry is shocked and a little from Gwen's side, but Bruce admits that being Batman meant that he had to be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice.

"Sometimes you have to. Unlike Robin saving me, or me saving him, or sometimes...Megan."

However, Ace suddenly starts barking and violently attacks Terry and Bruce, forcing them to tranquilize him and Gwen tries to pin him down for it to work.

"Poor Ace..." she felt something from his head. "Something must've made him go mad, like he was under some type of spell."

"But what got into him?" ask Terry.

Terry and Gwen take Ace to the vet, and finds the entire place is filled with animals acting in the same violent manner.

"I guess we're not the only ones with animal problems..." Gwen to feel something out. "I know I can feel a very bad thing hurting the animals to hear things."

"Same with my cat." said Max. "My jumped on a dog."

"But none of us don't know what's causing them to go crazy."

Terry has a point and Gwen wants to know what she was feeling out. Max is there with her cat, and makes an offhand remark about what things must be like at the zoo.

"Well, for one thing...I'm glad I'm not living in a zoo." she said.

"The zoo!" both Gwen and Terry said it together.

Realizing that she's right, Terry and Gwen immediately go to investigate as Batman and Batwoman.

Upon arriving at the zoo, Terry and Gwen sees the elephants trying to escape from their enclosure.

"Oh, boy!" said Batwoman. "Who's trying to let Dumbo go on the loose?"

While Batman manages to stop one of the elephants, the others attack him for Batwoman to surround the animals to stop from the fire she releases.

"Don't hurt them!" said Batman.

"I'm not, relax, Bats."

"(We're just trying to shoot them away. Animals really don't like fires so much to scare them out of it, I'll be gentle.)" Gwen explains. "(But we still got more to deal with than the elephants.)"