Sentries of the Last Cosmos

Batman Beyond 'Fan Fiction Story'

By Tayla Drago

Episode# 35 - Sentries of the Last Cosmos

Out on a distant planet, a small group of soldiers riding on flying disks carrying energy swords rush to evade pursuing spaceships. One is forced to crash but the other proves to be piloted by a much more skilled flyer. One of the warriors is almost done in but another warrior flies in and destroys the ship at a great risk to himself. With the second ship down, the warriors remove their helmets revealing themselves to be Max, Gwen, Terry, and Corey Cavalieri playing a VR Game: Sentries of the Last Cosmos.

"Wow! This game's fun!" Gwen enjoyed it. "You were right, Terry."

"I told you it was fun."

A nice date and Terry helping Gwen to try out new things from time to time.

Corey is the last to remove his helmet and is proud to discover he's earned the all-time high score.

"And once again, Corey has the highest scores out of all of us." Max said. "How do you do it?"

"Just got to go with the flow I guess..." Unfortunately for him, he finds that reality isn't quite so kind to him. "Watch it!"

Bumping into Nelson is one.

"Or what, hit me with your made-up flaming sword? Get a life."

Though it may be true, it's dumb in reality to be hard.

"Don't worry, Corey, you're still good in the game." Gwen tries to cheer Corey up.

"But what of it and I'm nothing in the real world...?" he asks himself. "Sorry, it just hard."

Unbeknownst to him, however, a real sentry is watching him for Gwen's inner self to sense out like her to keep in mind.

"(Reality or fantasy, most things to look out for danger is still very real. Gweny, keep your eyes open on this place. We're not alone.)"

Back at school, Corey muses over creating new scenarios for the game and brushes off Max's thought that he's too obsessed with Sentries of the Last Cosmos. Just then, he receives an e-mail from Simon Harper, the creator of the game, inviting him to Harper's private estate, Sentrycroft. Corey is overjoyed by this news and readily accepts the invitation. This gets to Megan to be on this case to get emails from other kids to be worthy of the video game making of the man.

"(Simon Harper...)" she does some work to hack through his background check. "(This game's too good, and this might be something for Bruce, Terry, and Gwen to learn more about this. I better get cracking.)"

This might take a bit for her...Upon reaching Sentrycroft, Corey is awed by the paraphernalia normally found only in the games—vehicles, weapons, uniforms. He meets two other players, Dempsey and Burfid also in awe of what they've found. Harper, wearing the 'robe of the wise one' greets them and congratulates them as being the three top-scoring players in all of Gotham. Harper reveals a great secret: the world depicted in the game represents an actual conflict; there really is a corp of Sentries, and the game is actually a test to find new recruits worthy of joining. He invites the boys to join the ranks of the Sentries. Elsewhere, Batman and Batwoman patrol the skies of Gotham and learns from Bruce that there's been a break-in at the Hall of Records.

"So get this, my school counselor says my problem is I lack direction." Terry/Batman said to Bruce.

He gets an alarm to go off to tell the two crime fighting duos to have some trouble.

"Go to the hall of records, I'm showing a break-in at their data bank." he said.

"Speak of the devil..."