Once Burned

Batman Beyond 'Fan Fiction Story'

By Tayla Drago

Episode# 19 – Once Burned

Up on a Gotham Sky-Rise Apartment, a group of poker players grumble about the indecision of one of their players, Bennie. The conversation indicates that they are all criminals. Bennie claims he hears someone outside and sends his goons to check. While searching, the goons are assaulted by Ten. The game continues, and Ten tosses her own exploding card onto the table, taking the bet money. She quickly tries to make her getaway, but her card glider is shot and destroyed. Trapped, she hides from the angry gang while the shooting attracts Batman's attention.

"We got trouble down below."

"That we do, Batman." said Batwoman. "You boys hang around some more until the police arrive, will ya? We're out of here."

Looks like Gwen/Batwoman is feeling a bit better to have herself patch up in a few places to be hurting her a bit, but she could still fight. Having Terry and Bruce worry about her safety.

"Wait, can you still fight?" Batman asks her.

Lots to be going on between the two, don't you guys think so?

"(I'm fine, Batman, the hit to the chest part was nothing. I can still fight. You're sweet when you worry about me a lot.)" said Gwen. "(I'll try to be careful, okay? We better go find out what the shooting is all about.)"

"She can hold up her own battles, Bats, with me around we got nothing to lose." said Batwoman.

Looks like they'll stick together on this one.

"If you say so. Just try to not overdo it so much." said the Dark Knight. "Let's go."

Batwoman and Batman arrive, and they both throw the takeover to the players, but they continue their shooting. For Gwen to be seeing Ten again could only mean trouble for this girl and to Terry to have a relationship with her once.

"(Wait...Ten? Which means Melanie and her family are back again?!)

"These people are not the type to listen." said Ten.

Looks that way...

"Ah, geeze! Do you really think so?!" Batwoman said ironically. "If you're saying this isn't what we think, then what is?"

Using a gas bomb, Batman with Batwoman using some fire power manage to distract the players long enough to allow himself along with Batwoman, and Ten to escape.

"(Well, there she goes again.)"

With Gwen feeling weird to see Ten again, Terry says this to her.

"Whatever happen between the two of us from then, Gwen, it's all in the past now. She means nothing to me now." he said. "But she has changed...Hopefully for the better."

"(I know, but we still have to let Uncle Bruce know about it.)" she said to her partner.

"Someone's jealous..."

"(Stop!)" Gwen shouts at Batwoman. "(Not right now, please...)"

That was out of nowhere...

"What's up with Gweny tonight?" she questions herself.

Terry tells Bruce about the incident and learns that he got too close to the Derby: a high stakes poker game that's been around since before Bruce was Batman.

"The Derby are like a poker gang member to play their bets and... take care of others who stand in their way personality. I'm having Megan look up more about to help you two out in any way." said Bruce to check on Gen next. "How are you feeling?"