Zeta

Batman Beyond 'Fan Fiction Story'

By Tayla Drago

Episode# 32 – Zeta

During a lecture in biology class at school, Max, Gwen, and Terry note that the teacher, Miss Martel, is answering questions in a strange way; not with a personal answer and opinion, but instead just reading pre-written information. Even for Max to ask her teacher a question about it...

"But, what about free will? I mean, I'm not going to believe that everything I was completely decided before I was born."

Good question there. Even for Gwen to understand it a bit, but a lot more for her to feel something was up from the people around her.

"(Huh?)" she looks around carefully to feel out the strange feeling in the room. "(Either I'm feeling a strange person sneaking into the school, or something feels off. One of the people here isn't normal.)"

Later, as they discuss their suspicions, like Gwen does.

"Is being Batman just giving me a suspicious nature?" Terry asks the two girls.

"Yes." Max answer.

"I call it more of instincts to me." and Gwen. "But I know what you mean, something's up to feel something odd lately. Not normal."

"If you're right, Gwen, then something's way off with Ms. Martel."

They are surprised to see men dressed as phone workers pull guns on Miss Martel and open fire. Even more surprising, Miss Martel avoids their attack with an amazing show of strength and agility and drives off in a car. Gwen knows something was up to see what was wrong with her to rush to her side.

"Terry! Max! I'll go see if Ms. Martel's hiding something!" she goes with some fire power to use for speed.

Leaving Terry to take off as well to let Max know about it.

"I'll call you if Gwen and I see anything off." he leaves.

The car eventually crashes, and the pursuers catch up, but Batman arrives and stops them from shooting her.

"Ms. Martel! Are you hurt?! Say something!"

Just then, the teacher punches through the car and draws weapons of her own.

"(That can't be normal...)" said Gwen's inner self. "A robot that remind me a lot like you are, Gweny.)"

One of the men, Agent Bennet, jumps from the truck and explains that 'Miss Martel' is really a synthoid.

"A synthoid? Another one?" surprised Gwen.

During the fight, Miss Martel is hit and loses her disguise. The police go to Miss Martel's apartment and find her tied up for Megan to help cut the ropes loose for the teacher.

"(No break in to murdering someone, so that's a good thing.) She's fine, Barbara!" Megan tells her friend. "I wish to know what this living robot is. Reminds me of Gidget, I sure miss it to have the tools for it now that I've made."

Finding evidence that points to the school, Barbara Gordon and Megan confront Bennet. He explains that the robot is an assassin droid called 'Zeta' and it has stopped taking their orders. Because Zeta was on an assignment to infiltrate a terrorist group, they assume it's now taking orders from them and must destroy it, whatever the civilian cost.

"For your own safety and everyone else's, we just need to do this before it causes more harm." Bennet leaves. "This robot's not wise to hack into and make it into a friend, Ms. Tsuki, trust me."

"Wasn't going to..."

After Bennet leaves, Batman and Batwoman talk to Barbara, and she explains that it's most likely that Zeta is still at the High School.