Final Cut

Batman Beyond 'Fan Fiction Story'

By Tayla Drago

Episode# 27 – Final Cut

A private jet touches down briefly at an airport to make a minor repair. Its passenger is the Master Assassin, head of the Society of Assassins. He is nervous about touching down on land, even briefly. His fears prove to be well-grounded: Curaré sneaks on board, and, once the plane is airborne again, attacks. The Master Assassin holds her at a distance with throwing stars, but she throws a small capsule that bursts against his chest, releasing a gas that erases his mind. She then bails out of the plane. Curare's back. In Gotham City, someone takes a shot at the Batmobile while Batman and Batwomen were on patrol.

"Wow!" Batman dodges the hit in time.

"(Is someone shooting at us?)" Gwen was panicking.

For Gwen to feel out who it was to pinpoint the person's location for Batwoman to point out to her partner.

"Looks like it's coming down below us, there!"

Recap on who the Society of Assassins were told by Megan herself once again...

Megan: Bruce Wayne became aware of the Society's existence at some point during his years as Batman. They lived by a strict set of rules, stating that any member of the Society who failed to kill his or her target would become a target, hunted by the rest of the Society. According to Bruce, none had ever failed. Sometime after Bruce passed the role of Batman to Terry McGinnis, the Society was commissioned by an international arms dealer, Fyodor Davic; he was scheduled for a trial a few days later, but it all hinged on the testimony of Defense Attorney Sam Young. Without the testimony, Davic would walk, so he arranged for Young to be killed. Curaré, the Society's most skilled assassin, was sent to do the job. Her initial attempt was thwarted by Young's wife Barbara Gordon and Batman. After being reprimanded for her failure by the Master Assassin, she tried again, but her second and third attempts were foiled by Batman as well. She was taken into custody, and though she managed to escape fairly easily, the Society immediately began to hunt her for her failure. The Society, however, underestimated Curaré, who had no intention of allowing herself to be killed. She struck back and began to hunt down her former comrades one by one, hitting each of them with a chemical that wiped their minds. After Kurima was dealt with, only the Master Assassin and Mutro Botha were left. Botha was sent to Gotham in order to enlist Batman's help in locating and subduing Curaré. Master Assassin was ambushed by Curaré when his plane was forced to make a landing.

Batman lands and both him and Batwoman confront the shooter: Mutro Botha, the last surviving member of the Society.

"No need for violence, you two. I was only getting your attention." Mutro tells them.

"You got it." Batman said back.

For Batwoman to show off her fire next to Mutro to demand some answers.

"Give us one good reason why I shouldn't roast you..."

He tells the two crime fighting duos that, since Curaré failed in her mission to kill her mark, the Society ordered her execution.

"(Wait...Curare? The one who tried to kill Barbara's husband?)" surprised Gwen.

However, she turned the tables on them and hunted them down one by one. Now, Botha needs Batwoman and Batman's protection.

"And why should we protect you?" Batman asks Botha.

For Batman to ask why he and Batwoman should protect an assassin from another, and Botha warns that once he is gone, she will go after the two next.