Chapter 7 - Settling In

After the meal, Percy and another senior leads us from the hall, through the school, and up some stairs, one of which is moving by itself.

"Gryffindors follow me please!" Percy says.

"Ravenclaw follow me," the other boy says.

"This is the most direct path to the dormitories," Percy says before we follow him up some stairs.  "Oh and keep an eye on the staircases, they like to change."

As we follow Percy up the stairs, the pictures all move and look at us.  Ron finds it creepy but I find it fascinating.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," an old man in a picture says.

We continue until we stop at a large picture of a big woman in a big dress.

"Password!"

"Caput Draconis!" Percy says.

The door opens and we follow Percy into a living area where he stops a few feet away and turns to us.

"Gather round here!"

We do and I stand next to Hollie and Harry.

"Welcome to the Gryffindor common room.  Boys dormitories upstairs and down to your left... girls the same on your right.  You'll find all your belongings have already been brought up."

~Harry's POV~

After everyone else has gone to sleep, I sit by the window and look out, thinking about everything that's happened since my birthday.

I hear footsteps and look round to see Bella coming up beside me.

"Hey!"

She sits down opposite me.

"I wanted to see if you were alright! Hollie told me about our aunt and uncle, and that brat Dudley."

"I was just thinking about everything that's happened."

"Hollie said you two only found out recently that you're wizards, and then to find out that you have two more sisters.  That must blow your mind."

"It is a little too much.  I mean, all my life I've been treated like I don't belong.  Hollie has tried to make me feel otherwise but I get locked in a cupboard under the stairs which barely fits my bed.  I have never received birthday or Christmas presents and am treated like a slave whereas Hollie is their little princess."

"Oh Harry! Well, I can assure you that you won't get treated like that here."

"Thank you Bella!"

"I'd better be getting back to bed.  See you in the morning."

While we're in potions, the door bursts open and Professor Snape walks in.

"There will be no wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to enjoy the subtle science and exact art that is potion making.  However, for those select few, who possess the predisposition.  I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses.  I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death."

I pick up my quill and begin writing down what he's saying.

"Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not... pay... attention."

Hollie nudges me and I look up.

"He was paying attention," Bella says.  "He was making notes."