Chapter 32 - Peter Pettigrew

Harry leads me and Hollie into Lupin's classroom.

"Girls?"

"We all want to know how to fight the Dementors," I say.

"Are you sure about this? This is advanced magic well beyond the Ordinary Wizarding Level."

"We're sure," Hollie says.

"Well, everything's prepared."

He begins making his way down to us.

"Now the spell I'm going to teach you is called the Patronus Charm.  Did you ever hear of it?"

"I have," I say.  "A Patronus is a positive force.  For the wizard who conjures one, it works like a shield, with the Dementor feeding on it rather than him."

"Well done, Bella."

He sits on the table.

"But in order for it to work, you need to think of a memory.  Not just any memory, a very happy memory, a very powerful memory."

"Can you do this? Yes.  Very well.  Close your eyes.  Concentrate.  Explore your past.  Do you have a memory? Allow it to fill you up.  Lose yourself within it.  Then speak the incantation: Expecto Patronum."

All three of us repeat at once.

"Very good! Shall we? Wands at the ready."

He unlocks the chest which I presume holds the Boggart but as he lifts the lid, a Dementor appears.

"Expecto Patronum," we all say together but seems we've all lost the memory as we stare as the Dementor.

The next thing I know, everything goes dark.

"Here we go," I hear Lupin's voice and look round to see my brother and sister both sitting on the floor.  "I didn't expect any of you to do it first time."

"That was one nasty Dementor," Harry says.

"Oh, no, no, no.  That was a Boggart.  The real thing would be worse.  Much, much worse.  As a matter of interest, what were you thinking? Which memory did you choose?"

"The first time I rode a broom," Harry says.

"Finding out Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon weren't my real parents," Hollie says.

"Getting the letter from Hogwarts," I say.

They're not good enough.  Not nearly good enough."

"There is another one," I say but I don't know if it's real or just a dream."

They all look at me with anticipation.

"It was when I learnt to walk.  I remember, or at least think I remember, Harry and Hollie were there... I remember Harry crying when Hollie and I were walking around.  There's a young blonde looking round the doorframe, none too happy with the attention we're getting for our achievement so I presume that was Emberlee..."

"I've had that dream," Hollie says.  "Mom and Dad were there with two other men."

"That's not a dream," Lupin says.  "I was there when you learnt to walk.  You and Hollie quickly got the hang of it but Harry still wasn't walking by that horrific night."

"I remember that too," Harry says.

"That would be a strong enough memory.  Let's give it a try.  You feel ready?"

The three of us nod so he opens the trunk.

"Expecto Patronum!" we say in sync and things rattle a little before a bright light appears at the end of our wands and forms a barrier around the Boggart and forces in back into the trunk.  Lupin, who had been laughing in delight, pushes the lid down, locking it.