Chapter 21 - Inside the Chamber

~Harry's POV~

Ron is sitting next to Hermione while I sit next to Hollie, stroking her hand.

I look up at Bella, who is sitting the other side of the bed on a chair and she looks as worried as me.

"Wish you were here, Hollie.  You were always the strong one – always looked out for me when I should have been looking out for you."

As I stroke Hollie's hand, I feel something and realise she's holding something – a screwed up piece of paper so I remove it and take a look.

"Ron, Bella, we need to find the others."

We leave the hospital wing and find the others with Neville and Edward in the common room.

"What's that?" Ron asks when I pull out the piece of paper.

"This was why Hollie and Hermione were in the library the day they were attacked."

"What does it say?" Ben asks.

"Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the Basilisk.  Capable of living for hundreds of years, instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eye.  Spiders flee before it..."

"That's it," Bella says.  "That's what the monster is... and it would account for how we heard it and nobody else... it's a snake."

"But if it kills by looking people in the eye, why is it no one's dead?" Ryan asks.

"Isn't it obvious?" Ben says.  "Nobody looked it in the eyes, at least not directly."

"Of course," Bella says.  "Colin saw it through his camera... Justin must have seen it through Sir Nicholas... Mrs Norris through the reflection in the water... and Hollie and Hermione were using mirrors."

"But how is the snake getting around?" Ron asks.  "A snake that big, someone must have seen it."

"Through the pipes," Edward says.

"Wait," Ryan says.  "Remember what you told us about that girl Aragog told you about? The one who died in the bathroom 50 years ago? I don't think she ever left the bathroom."

'All students are to return to their house dormitories at once," McGonagall says over the tannoy.  'All teachers to the second floor corridor immediately.'

"We have to find out what's going on," Bella says.  "Harry grab the cloak, the rest of you stay here."

"I'm coming too," Edward insists.

"Fine," Bella says.

I grab the cloak and the three of us hurry to the second floor just as the teachers approach.

"As you can see," McGonagall states.  "The Heir of Slytherin has left another message.  Our worst fear has been realized.  A student has been taken by the monster into the Chamber itself.  The students must be sent home.  I'm afraid this is the end of Hogwarts."

"They cannot close Hogwarts," I whisper.  "This is my home."

"We'll figure something out," Edward whispers.

"So sorry," we hear Lockhart say.  "Dozed off.  What have I missed?"

"A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart," Snape says.  "Your moment has come at last."

"My moment?" he stutters.

"Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?"

Lockhart is speechless.

"That's settled.  We'll leave you to deal with the monster, Gilderoy," McGonagall says.  "Your skills, after all, are legend."