Chapter 30 - Wolves

It's been nearly three months since he left.  I can't bear to say his name without crying and feeling hurt.  They left... all of them.  I've never felt so alone in my life.  I can't sleep without having nightmares, screaming, and Dad having to wake me up.  I don't leave my room at all.  I didn't leave for Hogwarts - I couldn't looking and feeling like this.  The only person who I can talk to is Jacob and he hasn't talked to me for weeks.

The last time I saw him I went to his house and he'd changed.  He'd cut his hair and had a tattoo probably because he was hanging around Sam and his friends.  I open up my computer and start to write an email.

'Alice,

You disappeared.  Without you I've never felt more alone.  When you left you took everything with you.  I have no one to talk to.  It's like a hole has been punched through my chest and now I'm empty.  I keep trying to think as if you weren't real that you never existed... but you were... all of you were.'

I click send and like all the other messages it doesn't send.  I stare at the screen in disgust and just move from it.  I get up and just figure I'll go over to Jacob's without a second thought.  I slip on my sneakers and head down stairs.  Dad is outside talking to a neighbor as I go over to my bike, sadness on my face.

"Alright, that's it," he sighs.

"What?" I ask.

"You're going to Phoenix to live with your mother," he says.

I look at him - he looks guilty and hurt.

"I'm not leaving Forks," I state.

"Bella, he's not coming back," he says.

My mouth then dries and I feel the tears starting to form in my eyes.

"Just go and make some new friends," he suggests.

"I like my old friends," I say.

"They're at Hogwarts and you haven't seen Jacob or Angela."

"I'm going to Jacob's right now."

He studies my face and nods.  I get on my bike and start to ride to the reservation.  Once I get to his house I storm to the door and knock on it.  Billy answers the door.

"Hey Bella," he greets.

"I need to see him," I say.

He tilts his head.  "He's not in."

I stare at him.

"I'm sorry, I just really need to see him," I say as I barge in.

"Bella!" he calls.

I walk into Jacob's room but he's fast asleep.  Before I try to wake him, I hear what sounds like a bird call.  I look out the window and see Sam and his friends Embry, Paul, and Jared.  I look from them to Jacob before I leave the house and stomp towards them.

"What did you do!?!" I shout.  "What did you?" I ask again pushing Sam.

Paul growls at me but I ignore him.

"Easy," Sam says to Paul.

"What did we do? What did he tell you?" Paul sneers.

"Calm down both of you," Sam commands.

I ignore him.  "Nothing.  He tells me nothing 'cause he's scared of you," I say.

Paul starts laughing in my face which sets me off and I slap him hard round the face.  He stares at me and starts panting very hard.

"Paul calm down, Bella get back," Sam orders so I back up.

Then Paul changes into a huge grey wolf.  He growls at me and I immediately run from him.